Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Kadhai Murgh

This delicious Indian dish is really good. A word of caution, if you are serving this with plain white rice, make sure you cook plenty of rice. You would want to have a second helping!




I love spicy Indian food. I bought some spices from an Indian store, and couldn't wait to try out more Indian curries from a few of my books. The store that I went to, is fantastic, they have all the spices which I have been looking for ages that I could not find anywhere else. It is like walking into a goldmine!  There will definitely be a lot of curry recipes coming! 




I found out about this store from one of my Indian cooking books, right at the top right of the last page. I did a search from the web, and was really excited that they have all the spices that I was looking for! Bingo!  Felt like I have hit the jackpot (not that I have before!). Felt so silly, as did not notice this all along, instead, went everywhere to look for the spices!




This dish is a little sour, salty and hot. I omitted the pounded red chili as I'm afraid it might be too hot for my kids. One of the ingredients is pounded black pepper, which I added half a teaspoon more. The flavours from the black pepper is really wonderful. If you do not like a spicy curry, you can omit the chili. Or if you are like me, who loves fiery hot stuff, then, by all means, add the chili!  According to the chef, this dish is popular in Lahore, Pakistan.


The name of Kadhai Murgh sounds really nice. Kadhai means 'wok' or 'vessel', and Murgh means 'chicken'. 
I couldn't wait to try other Murgh recipes and other curries like legumes and vegetables! Give this a try, you'll love it!



"Passage Thru' India" is a well-know Indian restaurant in Kuala Lumpur, that has won numerous awards. This book is a collection of some of the best Indian dishes served at the restaurant. Chef PS Kadam, who has been in this restaurant since 1996, has simplified the methods for use in home-cooking.

I'm linking this post with Copycat Club at Buttercream Barbie

Kadhai Murgh
(adapted from "Passage Thru' India" by Chef PS Kadam)
Serves : 4
Preparation Time : 35 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes

Ingredients :
500gm chicken
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 pinch turmeric powder
salt to taste
100 ml cooking oil
1 pinch / 5 gm cumin (jeera) seeds
20gm / 2 tsp ginger and garlic, chopped
10gm / 2 green chilles, chopped
400gm / 4 tomatoes, chopped
1 cup water
1 tbsp / 1 red chilli, pounded
1 tsp / 5gm black pepper, pounded
1 tbsp / 10gm coriander seeds, pounded
50 gm / 1 capsicum, cut lengthwise
1 pinch garam masala powder
1 tsp kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
2 tbsp coriander leaves

Method :

  1. Clean chicken and remove the skin. Cut into cubes of equal size and marinate with 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste, 1 pinch tumeric powder and salt for 30 minutes.
  2. Heat oil in a kadhai (wok). Saute cumin, chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies for 10 seconds.
  3. Stir in 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste and saute for 30 seconds.
  4. Put in chopped tomatoes and keep stirring till tomatoes are mashed.
  5. Add chicken cubes and stir occasionally. Pour in some water and simmer on low flame.
  6. When the chicken is almost done, add the pounded spices and capsicum, masala powder, kasoori methi, coriander leaves and salt.
  7. Cook till chicken becomes tender and gravy thick. Sprinkle water and stir. Adjust the seasoning. The gravy should be thick, the taste hot and sour, and the colour orange red.
  8. Remove from heat and put in a serving dish. Garnish with green coriander, ginger and tomato slices. Serve with chapatti, naan, roti or biryani rice.

25 comments:

  1. This dish look really yummy...I can eat a bowl of steamed rice looking by these moth watering pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the caution part! so agree with u!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so inviting dear! I love this kinda spicy chicken curry too :)

    U made it perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before I forget, which Indian store did U bought the dried fenugreek leaves from? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy curries...how great that you were able to find that shop, and with all those delights at your finger tips now :)
    This dish has such amazing flavors, and I like the spicy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay to more curry recipes coming! So where is this 'goldmine' you found?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guess what, I always have a second helping when it comes to Idian or Thai or Chinese. They are my favourite types of cuisine! This looks delicious and the recipe sounds flavourful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dish looks zesty, again you have made a delicious meal. Thanks Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a homey meal. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. nampak pun dah tahu sangat sedap.Kat mana kedai jual rempah ni?teringn nak beli rempah ni.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello friend, sorry I did not receive your email. Thanks for the info. I came to know about Citra Spice Mart some time back, but little hesitant to go up to Brickfields. Hahaha. Anyways, really glad to know U've got the kasoori methi!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This recipe is for my, because i love chili, like you!
    Beautiful Indian chicken !!
    Best regards
    Magda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a good curry and I am always on the lookout for new curry recipes! This recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omg, my all time fav..am just drooling here..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Zoe,
    Yes, this dish is great with steamed white rice!

    Hi mr pineapple man,
    I'm smart, I did cook extra rice!

    Hi Love2Cook,
    Thanks, Bought the spices from Citra Spice Mart!

    Hi Alisha,
    Yes, I was very pleased to know that now I have my one-stop-spice centre to go to!

    Hi KY
    Yes, more curries that I'm looking forward to try! Bought from Citra Spice Mart in Brickfields.

    Hi Brittany,
    You have second helpings too? I don't blame you. Indian curries are always very appetizing!

    Hi Melynda,
    Thank you for your lovely words!

    Hi Victor,
    Nice to see you again!

    Hi cikmanggis,
    Terimakasih. Cubalah masakan ini, memang enak! Ingat ya, masak lebih nasi! Kedai spices ini ialah di Brickfields, Citra Spice Mart, cm boleh semak di website mereka, www.citras.com.my
    selamat mencuba! Beritahu-ya kalau sudah masak.

    Hi magda,
    Thank you. Yes, chili is my favourite, I have it almost everyday!

    Hi Linda,
    Nice to see you here! This is a delicious curry. Hope you will give it a try someday!

    Hi Priya,
    Wish I could share this with you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love Indian food, I want to make it more often. I need a good Indian cookbook. Looking at your list of ingredients, the only thing I don't think I've ever seen is kasoori methi, but we have a large Indian population in Toronto, I'm sure I could find it at a specialty store. Looks delicious Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Brenda,
    Kasoori methi is the spice that kept me going round in circles looking for it! Finally found it when I almost gave up! Glad that I've found it. This dried fenugreek leaves smells wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds wonderful. I can imagine those flavors rolling on my tongue as I read your recipe. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. My family would love this chicken curry. It sounds fantastic. I will take the recipe to try!
    Looking forward to more curry dishes out of your cookbook. Thanks.
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum, I just love spicy food. Wish I could be in your kitchen to try this lovely dish.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi,
    I love doing curry, especially since I moved to England, it's one of my preferred dishes.
    Your looks so well done and well prepared! I'll try your recipe next time I do it!
    Brava!

    Barbaraxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello from VIGO SPAIN. I'm friends with Rani and I love sharing my recipes and blog and learn from yours, I invite you to visit. Greetings
    MARIMI

    ReplyDelete
  23. must be the same indian shop where you got your saffron, eh? delicious looking , i dont mind adding in all the chillis, i like really hot food!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, I'm definitely making this - looks absolutely divine, and I will definitely make extra rice, as I know I will be going back for seconds. So glad you have finally been able to get all the spices you've been trying to find :-)
    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. I do love spicy curries, so I'll probably need the extra rice for second helpings. :) I'll have to find some of those wonderful spices. :)

    ReplyDelete