This is a great snack over the weekend. It is crispy and if you are generous with the sugar topping, you will be rewarded with a sweet, crispy, delicious snack. It really is quite easy to do, except that it takes about a whole day to complete it, with the folding, waiting, folding, waiting, folding, waiting....refrigerate, then bake.... But in the end, you will be pleased with the result. The children will love this. This delicious snack is from Alex Goh's "Baking Code". Have fun trying and enjoy !
(adapted from "Baking Code" by Alex Goh)
300gm plain flour
100gm bread flour
1/8 tsp salt
300gm pastry margarine
- Mix ingredients A, knead to form smooth dough. Let is rest for 15 minutes.
- Roll out the dough into rectangular shape.
- Place the pastry margarine onto half side of the dough then wrap it up.
- Roll out the dough into 1.5cm thick and fold the two ends to the centre then form a book fold with 4 layers. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Repeat step 4 three more times.
- Roll out the puff pastry into 3mm thick and 20x30cm rectangular shape, then brush the top with water.
- Roll it up like a swiss roll. Keep refrigerated for at least 3 hours to let it firm.
- Cut it into 10mm thick, coat both sides with sugar. Roll it to 2mm thick oval shape.
- Place it onto a prepared pan lined with baking paper and sprinkle some sugar on top.
- Bake at 170C for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.