Thursday, December 30, 2010

Cherry, Chocolate and Kahlua Brownies

Baked this delicious brownies and while they are still warm, three quarters of it are gone in less than half an hour! My nieces and nephew came for a visit and thought I bake something chocolaty, their favorite. These brownies are perfect! I would suggest using a slightly bigger pan as when the brownies are baked, it really puffed up in the centre. And as usual, I reduced the amount of sugar used, from the original 500gm to 280gm, believe me, it is sweet enough! The brownies turned out really good, with a delightful Kahlua liquor taste, moist and chocolaty. This would definitely go on my 'to-do-again' list!






Cherry, Chocolate and Kahlua Brownies
(adapted from "Brownies and Bars" by Liz Franklin)
Makes 15
Preparation Time : 1 hour, plus 30 minutes soaking
You will need a lightly buttered roasting tin or cake tin measuring 20x30cm/8x12inches

100g/3-1/2 oz dried cherries (I use dried cranberries)
4-5 tablespoons Kahlua
250g/9oz butter
500g/1 lb 2oz caster sugar (I use 280gm)
100g/3-1/2oz dark chocolate
60g/2-1/4oz cocoa powder
4 eggs, beaten
125g/4-1/2oz self-raising flour

Soak the cherries in the Kahlua for 30 minutes or so.
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4.
Melt the butter, sugar, chocolate and cocoa powder together. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
Stir the eggs into the chocolate mixture and then fold in the flour. Stir in the cherries and soaking liquid.
Spoon into the prepared tin, and then bake for 35 minutes or so, until just firm but still slightly fudgy.
Leave to cool in the tin and then cut into squares. Store them in an airtight container.

20 comments:

  1. They look heavenly! I love brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate, cherries AND Kalhua? Some of my favorites all in one brownie. They sound so yummy! Your cranberries sound good too, but I really love chocolate and cherries together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm...my favourite. If I am there, I'll finish the other quarter and you'll have none...haha. Next time, make double :P Wishing you a great 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fully agree with you since I had a chance to taste it too! aahhaa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cant take my eyes from the click, extremely irresistible brownies..Happy new year wishes to u and ur family..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect brownies for my tea break now...hehe!!! Yummylicious!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are definitely a special type of brownie! Very unique, as I've never seen dried fruit or alchol in a brownie recipe. No wonder they went so quickly!

    By the way, my Grandmother is from Ipoh in Malaysia (opposite end of you). Unfortunately I've never had the oppurtunity to visit her family over there. She's lived in Australia since even my Dad was a little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness...do you think I could just have it for breakfast? I can't wait to make this recipe. Thank you for sharing it. You and Your family have a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh,I love it Joy! What great flavour combinations. Everything tastes better with Kahlua! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Melynda,
    Hi Elsa,
    Hi Betty,
    Hi Mary,
    Hi what's baking,
    Hi Priya,
    Hi Love2cook,
    Hi Brittany,
    Hi leaf,
    Hi Miz Helen,
    Hi Brenda,
    Thank you for all your lovely words. Wishing all of you a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. must be really yummy and taste heavenly with the added kahlua.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great way to use up my Kahlua!
    Happy New Year to you and your family. Here's to a brand new year of great cooking and baking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that is a brownie...what flavors :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy looking brownies - cherry & chocolate is such a perfect combination of flavours. Adding Kahlua adds a whole new dimension again.
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What could be better than Kaluah, Chocolate and Cherries. Printed it up and it is way up on my "TO BAKE" list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just made this and it is good!! I'm eating it warm from the pan too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi KY
    I'm really glad that you enjoy this brownie... they are good, aren't they? :)
    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! I've just discovered your blog and I'm loving it! What a great idea to bake with people. Bake-Along! I'm trying to do something similar in a different part of the world. For me, the theme is Eat with me. I like cooking and eating with other people too. I wonder if we would get to bake together one day.

    ReplyDelete