Rosemary and Sesame Seeds? It doesn't sound like they belong together do they? But they do! The smell of rosemary fills the kitchen (and the house!) when the chicken is being baked in the oven, and the sesame seeds add the nutty aroma and nice crispy crunch. During the last 5 minutes of baking, I turned the oven to "grill setting" and the result is really crispy wings. There's no frying, no messy greasy pan to clean, no oily greasy stove to wipe and no wastage of oil from the deep-frying!
I'm a wing person! I really love chicken wing, be it in curry, fried, baked, roasted, steam, anything, I would usually go for the wings. But my favourite is crispy wing! Yum!
I'm linking this to
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Recipe Swap Thursday at Prairie Story
Baked Chicken Wing With Rosemary and Sesame Seeds
8 large wings (cut into two at joint)
1 tsp garlic salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
3 tbsp white sesame seeds
2 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
2 whole sprigs fresh rosemary
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 tbsps cooking oil
2-3 tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Line a cookie baking sheet with aluminium foil. (it's easier to clean your baking sheet later!). Rub all over with 2 tablespoons cooking oil.
- Place the two rosemary sprigs on pan in two rows horizontally. Keep aside.
- Clean the chicken wings, cut at joint into halves, drain and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sized bowl, combine garlic salt, paprika, coarse black pepper, sesame seeds, chopped rosemary leaves and bread crumbs together, mixing well to combine. Taste for saltiness. Add more salt if needed.
- Put half of the combined seasoning into a big plastic bag. Add half of the chicken wings, hold the opening of the bag and twist with the other hand to create a balloon pack. Shake bag and coat chicken wing completely with the seasoning. (You may use a zip-lock bag to do this, but I prefer the above 'balloon pack' bag method). Place chicken wing in one layer on top of the rosemary sprigs on baking pan. Repeat with the remaining of the seasoning and the chicken wings.
- Dot the wings with butter and bake for 25-30 minutes in the middle rack, turn chicken over, baste with the accumulated juices and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Change baking pan position to the top rack and change oven setting to 'grill'. Grill for about 4-5 minutes or until chicken is crispy and brown. Turn chicken over, grill for about 4-5 minutes or until crispy and brown, adding a little butter if necessary.
- Remove pan from oven, let rest 2-3 minutes and serve hot. Enjoy!