Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt

These gorgeous strawberries, which are grown locally in Cameron Highlands, Malaysia are on offer from TESCO. I bought three packs home and churned out this delightful frozen yoghurt. Though our local strawberries are not as sweet as the imported ones,  they are still wonderful. I use my homemade yoghurt for this. Frozen yoghurt is definitely a healthy option to ice cream that has egg yolks and cream, and is just as delicious!


Our local strawberries from Cameron Highlands


The sliced strawberries macerated in the sugar and vodka with its own juices. Delicious!


Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt. 
Look at the beautiful gorgeous colour!


As what David says, "the biggest blast of strawberry flavour imaginable"! 
This is so refreshingly delicious!

For other recipe that uses all those gorgeous berries, now that summer is here at some parts of the globe, take a look at a lovely blog from Greece, Kitchen Stories. Kitchen Stories blog is in two languages, Greek and English, just click here for the English language.  Kitchen Stories has made a Fruit Pie that looks so delicious and  perfect for all the abundant summer berries that are just waiting to be used up. I wish we have summer berries here! I'm so jealous!  :) Hop over to Kitchen Stories for this delicious Fruit Pie and other yummy desserts, just say that you are dropping in from Kitchen Flavours!  :)


I'm sharing this with
Full Plate Thursday over at Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Sweet Tooth Friday over at Alli n Son
Vintage Recipe Thursday over at Joy of Desserts
Fresh Food Friday over at la bella vita


Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
(adapted from "The Perfect Scoop" by David Lebovitz)
Notes from David " This frozen yogurt is a snap to put together, especially welcome in the summer which is when you may want to limit your time in a  warm kitchen. But don't let its ease of preparation fool you; this vibrantly coloured frozen yogurt provides the biggest blast of strawberry flavour imaginable."


1 pound (450gm) fresh strawberries, rinsed and hulled
2/3 cup sugar (130gm) sugar
2 teaspoons vodka or kirsh (optional) 
1 cup (240gm) plain whole-milk yoghurt
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice


Slice the strawberries into small pieces. Toss in a bowl with the sugar and vodka or kirsh. If using, stirring until the sugar begins to dissolve. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour, stirring every so often.
Puree the strawberries and their liquid with the yogurt and lemon juice in a blender or food processor until smooth. If you wish, press the mixture through a mesh strainer to remove any seeds.
Refrigerate for 1 hour, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

32 comments:

  1. I need to buy that cookbook!! I'm always making ice cream, but never yogurt. I really need to make some soon, it looks so refreshing and you're right, the colour is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice Cream and frozen yogurt are my #1 favorite guilty pleasures in life! If given the opportunity I would eat it everyday. Your recipe looks perfect for my taste and I would most definitely add the kirsch. Sweet, refreshing and almost guilt free!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall get one copy of this ice cream book. Your frozen yoghurt looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ya, our Cameron strawberry is not sweet but is best to use in baking and even better making in ice-cream. I wish to have some of your ice cream right now, look so refreshing adn yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wowww... im droolin over it.. i love that color.. super tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks totally gorgeous - I am just about licking my screen here!! As soon as summer and strawberries roll around here (mmm, 6 months away) I will be trying this - can't wait.
    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. That red color in your frozen yogurt is just dreamy! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful and yumm recipe dear...awesome clicks

    ReplyDelete
  9. no lie I just got out my ice cream maker and set it on the counter to remind me to make this recipe TODAY! It looks amazing and so light and actually good for you! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ice cream maker will be my next gadget to buy! You always tempt me!! Have you tried the tutti frutti yogurt ice cream at your place there? They are nice but very expensive! I just saw a punnet of cherries 2 days ago at jusco, they are selling at close to RM30! why is everything here so expensive??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply delicious and mouthwatering Frozen Strawberry Yogurt. Looks heavenly. Great preparation.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Because of the hot weather, everyone is making ice cream. I definitely love to make this as the US strawberry is quite cheap now. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delicious and beautiful recipes. The color is amazing!
    Thank you for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't know you had a Tesco in Maylasia! I can go to my local Tesco and make this too now, hopefully I'll have time to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These strawberries look so fresh and yummy. Nice to make them into frozen yogurt. I'll bookmark this for our coming summer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want an ice cream maker, looks perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are perfect frozen yogurt!! Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this! I've been eating strawberries like crazy (I mean containers of them). Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Que rico postre muy refrescante ,adoro las fresas,abrazos grandes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, looks absolutely delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my ~ love the color and texture and everything and the recipe is absolutely awesome! What a treat!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  22. I stopped by from Full Plate. :-) Frozen strawberry yogurt is such a tasty treat. I shared a similar frozen treat with fresh fruit - Pineapple ice cream.
    You are invited to participate in my Monday and Thursday recipe linky parties too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow....that's beautiful and very tempting! Would be great for the hotter days. Thanks very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've finally found some English cooking blogs as well!!!! Hello!!! I've become a follower of your blog- if you fancy it come and take a look at mine- some recipes are in both English and Italian- but since I didnt have any English followers I stopped translating!! As soon as I have some English speaking followers I will start translating again :-) Bye for now

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for linking up at Joy of Desserts. I hope to see you next week too. Have a great week end! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I could eat this frozen yogurt right through the computer screen if possible! I love David Lebovitz's recipes! Gorgeous photos.....I'd like to invite you to stop over and share this recipe or two over on my weekend foodie blog hop Fresh Food Friday/Seasonal saturday where 8 blogs are featured each week. Hope to see you join in! PS: now following you too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The photos look so yummy. I am sure this will be a great treat for my grand kids. Thank you for the recipe.
    Stopping by from Vintage Recipe Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi everyone,
    Thank you for stopping by and all your lovely comments. I would like to welcome all my new followers and thank you for following! Wishing everyone a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  29. so refreshing! especially in this hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! that looks amazing on a 100 degree day!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Joy,
    I would just love a nice ice cold bowl of yogurt it looks so delicious. Thank you so much for sharing this great recipe with Full Plate Thursday and please come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete