Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Fried Fish with Crispy Fried Ginger

Bought a piece of Black Promfret from the morning market and undecided what to do with it! After changing my mind a couple to times (I'm so fickle-minded sometimes!), I finally just settled for a simple dish of fried fish with crispy fried ginger and sweet soy sauce. A family favourite.  We would sometimes have this dish in Chinese restaurants. It is cheaper to have it at home and healthier too, I use canola oil. Other than Promfret, other suitable fish would be Tillapia, Garoupa, Threadfin and any fish that is suitable for frying. 



Fry the fish till really crispy and brown. I just love the smell of crispy fried fish! Yum!




If you are a ginger nut like me, use as much ginger as you want. Julienned ginger is fried till light brown and crispy. Instead of ginger, thinly sliced garlic may be used. Just fry the sliced garlic till crispy. Or you can have the best of both worlds, garlic and ginger, but they need to be fried separately, you can mix them up later. Soy sauce is sweetened with a little sugar in the hot oil and pour over the fish. Garnish with the crispy ginger and serve immediately. Really yummy! Give this dish a try, I'm very sure that you will enjoy it! Kids will especially love the crispy fish! Be careful with the bones when serving to children! 



Fried Fish with Crispy Fried Ginger
1 black promfret
1/2 cup julliened sliced ginger (or more!)
3/4 cup oil for frying
3 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
  1. Clean fish, pat dry. Heat oil in wok, coating sides of wok with oil. When oil is smoking hot, gently release fish in oil. Fry over medium heat on both sides till brown and crispy. Make sure fish is crispy. Remove to a serving heat-proof plate.
  2. In same oil, fry julliened ginger (or thinly sliced garlic) till brown and crispy. (Take care not to burn the ginger as it will be bitter). Remove to a small plate or bowl and keep aside.
  3. Remove excess oil from wok, retaining about 2-3 tablespoons in wok. Turn off heat. Add in sugar and soy sauce. It will sizzle. Stir until sugar is melted, about 15 seconds or so. Pour soy sauce and oil mixture on fish, garnish with crispy fried ginger and serve immediately. Really delicious when eaten while the fish and ginger is really crispy. 



33 comments:

  1. So delicious! Looks simple and easy to prepare I think ;) Would try for my 'buka puasa' today. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! This looks great! I love pan-fried fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow This reminds me of my mom's fish...she does about the same. Very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo this certainly looks very good. I can have extra rice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear Joyce, you make me cry with today's post! Fried 'hak chong yue' is one of my favourite childhood dishes and my mum always serves it. She serves it the same way as you too. The promfret here is frozen, not fresh, and tastes fishy so I don't buy them. Sigh.. I miss this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the easiest fish fry I've seen. No spices added to the fish prior to frying?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi KY,
    Wish I could share it with you! Try with other fresh fish that you can find, I'm sure it will be delicious too! I guess that this will be your menu on your next trip back! :)

    Hi Love2Cook,
    It is super easy and delicious! No spices is needed as this dish is all about the natural taste of the fresh fish. Simple can be really delicious and satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This will certainly go very well with white porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We don't fry much in our kitchen, but this does look good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, I LOVE fish and yours looks delicious, grate photos too!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a ginger nut, and I love fish! Looks sooo delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the idea of using crispy ginger! What a tantalizing way to add a hint of flavor to a typical fried fish dish! Love it to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  13. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME! Great ginger idea! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds wonderful. I'll have to try your recipe with a different fish because of availability, but I'm sure I can find a good substitute. I really like this recipe. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. joyce, that's what i do too to my fried fish! just love that fried ginger strips, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, this fried fish looks delicious, specially with the fried ginger on top of it...what a nice dish.
    Hope you are having a great week ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum! Look the fragrant of ginger on fried fish...what a great dish for everyday dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How incredibly delicious with all that fried ginger over top! I bet it adds tremendous flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Where's my napkin!? I'm totally drooling. That fish must taste amazing with that ginger on top. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful fried fish, quite flavourful..

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the fried ginger strips, this is the way my mum fried her fish, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry not go more often here is that I am painting pictures which one to order me take a little time for cooking. But for sure I'll be here whenever possible to see your wonderful recipes. This recipe is wonderful today, I loved the combination of ingredients! Thank you for the comments left on the blog, I loved it. Is always welcome. Kisses, Marta

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oooh, Joyce, this is my way parents to make fried fish, I love using tilapia. I haven't attempted on the fried ginger, looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this! So yummy! Usually I would have this fish dipped into soya sauce/lemon juice/sliced chilli mixture...so good!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love using fresh ginger, but have never fried it before - what a great idea! Perfect with that lovely fish. Mmmmmm........

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have done many things with ginger... even candied it but I've never fried it before! Gotta try this. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Joy, You know how I love my fried fish and this dish has my mouth watering! The fried ginger looks amazing too! I haven't ever tried to fry ginger or tasted Pomfret but now I'll have to make this dish for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Joy,
    I can't even imagine going to the market to get a fresh fish, it must be so nice. Your fish looks delicious, we just love ginger, so we would really enjoy this great dish! Hope you have a great week end and thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come back soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  29. So this is what happenned to your ikan bawal. I like fried fish and I like ginger but I do not like frying stuff. Everywhere gets really oily...

    ReplyDelete