Saturday, June 16, 2012

Stir-Fry Pork with Green Onions

I was browsing thru my cookbooks on my bookshelf and felt rather guilty when I saw this Chinese cookbook that I bought almost 2 decades ago!  Yup, it's that long! Way before I was even married! Other than trying out maybe two or three recipes the most, this book has been sitting on my bookshelf, tucked away in between other books! I did not however, completely forgotten about this book, I know it's there, but well, just that I did not use it, that's all. :o(


To make myself feeling "unguilty" (my new word!!) about this book, I decided to cook this dish which was the first dish I've tried from this book a decade or so ago. At that time, I cooked it for just, me and my hubby, and  remembered it being a tasty dish. 


So now, I cooked it for my family, and just like I remembered it before, more than a decade ago, this is delicious. My kids love it. Really easy, quick with just a few simple ingredients. The important part is to tenderize the meat with a meat mallet so that it is soft and tender when fried. And the next important part is to season the meat well. To test, fry a small piece and taste. The meat should be tender, a little salty and sweet. I used double the amount of green onions as we all love green onions in my house! I added in a few slices of ginger, one of my favourite ingredient in Chinese stir-fries, I would eat up all the ginger and the green onions left on the plate!


The slices of marinated pork are pan-fry till brown and later stir-fry with a quick stir together with the ginger and green onions with a seasoning of soy sauce and sugar. Delicious with white steamed rice. I can see that this will be a repetitive dish in my kitchen! 



I'm sharing this with :
Cookbook Sunday hosted by Couscous & Consciousness
Recipe Box 1 hosted by Bizzy Bakes
Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Weekend Potluck hosted by Life As A Lofthouse


Stir-Fry Pork with Green Onions
(adapted from "Chinese Cuisine" by Huang Su-Huei)
2/3 lb pork tenderloin

For Marinade :
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp cooking wine or sherry
1/2 tsp water
1/2 tsp chopped garlic
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch

For Stir-frying :
1 cup green onion, cut into 2-inch pieces, separating the whites and greens
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
8-10 slices ginger (my addition)

  1. Cut the tenderloin into 2/3-inch thick slices. Tenderize the slices with a meat mallet, mix with marinade ingredients.
  2. Heat wok or non-stick saucepan, then add 3 tablespoons oil, fry the meat slices until both sides are golden brown, remove and set aside.
  3. In a clean wok or saucepan, add about 1 tablespoon oil. Stir fry the ginger slices until fragrant. Add in the white part of the green onions, stir until fragrant, about a minute, add in the rest of the green onions, soy sauce and sugar to taste. Stir and add in the pork slices. Give a quick stir and dish out to a serving plate. Serve hot. Enjoy!

24 comments:

  1. Gr8 recipe with pork,green onions will add extra taste to any food..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joy,
    Your photo is so beautiful I could just reach right through this screen and eat that wonderful dish. Your recipe is awesome! Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiene un aspecto delicioso me encanta un plato contundente es todo un éxito,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a colourful dish, Joyce. I can certainly see why your family would love it. I can almost taste that gorgeous green onion, that tell tale crunch when you first bite down on it. And I love your addition of the ginger, very nice touch. Sadly, if I haven't used a cookbook in 10 years, it gets donated to the local thrift shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds and looks great, Joyce! I love the colors in it and know it has to be filled with plenty of good flavors. Have a good weekend! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks so good! and the glaze sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OM this look absolutely yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I m SO making this on sunday, but with chicken :D. Your clicks are so inviting and appetizing. M just salivating looking at those gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it looks really very good. nice recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. eileen@hundred eighty degreesSaturday, June 16, 2012

    That's the right colour! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A girl after my own heart. Double up on the onions and load up on ginger ;) AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I had a plateful right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks marvellous,irresistible and yummy..

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks really delicious! My mom always cook something similar to yours and I love it tremendously!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Joyce, recipes never die. Good for you to use your old cookbook again! My interest of cooking only started from last Sep but I do have a hobby of collecting recipes since I came to Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
  16. your pork slices browned perfectly! I love it with lots of ginger and green onions too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy! I am so going to try this too! I know I am going to like it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. simple dish but really delicious, i like this Joyce!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. wahhh sedapnya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I saw your picture I go SOOOOOOOOOOO hungry! so delicious - great ingredients and fantastic flavors:)
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks really good! I wish I can cook this when I have a time. Anyway, Can I use broccoli instead of green onions? Can I also add seasoning on that recipe?

    Recipes For Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete