"Potluck" is this week's theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), where we are cooking from Madhur Jaffrey's recipes. I made Hard Boiled Eggs Masala last week to eat with the Naan Bread from my previous MJ's post.
This Eggs Masala is very easy to make. A very nice dish, even though I find it a little sour. Next time I am going to omit the lemon juice altogether. As usual, I have increased the spices and since it was only for my hubby and myself, I have added more chilli powder for added kick.
And of course, lots of chopped cilantro for me!
Hard-Boiled Eggs Masala with Naan Bread
Please do stop by IHCC to see what the others are bringing for the Potluck!
Hard-Boiled Eggs Masala
(adapted from : food.com, Madhur Jaffrey)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (2 tsp chilli powder)
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric (1 tsp)
1 teaspoon ground cumin (2 tsp)
1 teaspoon ground coriander (2 tsp)
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
fresh ground pepper, to taste (1/4 tsp)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (1 tsp)
5 tablespoons onions, peeled and finely chopped (2 medium)
1 tablespooon fresh ginger, finely chopped (3 tablespoons)
1 cup canned tomatoes, chopped (1 can)
1/4 teaspoon sugar (to taste)
3-4 tablespoons fresh cilantro
4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cut into halves lengthwise
- Combine turmeric, cayenne, ground cumin, coriander, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, and 1 tablespoon water in small bowl. Mix.
- Put oil in medium-sized, nonstick pan and set over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, put in cumin seeds, 10 seconds later, add onion and ginger.
- Stir and fry till onion turns medium brown.
- Add spice paste.
- Stir and cook for 15 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and sugar and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add cilantro. Stir once or twice.
- Lay the cut eggs into the sauce and spoon over more sauce over them. Cover and simmer gently for 2-3 minutes.