I was flipping through one of my local cookbooks looking for ideas on dinner, found this simple Claypot Chicken with Chinese Sausage. Since I have all the ingredients, I made this for our dinner that night. This would be a nice simple dish to serve the family for the coming festive Chinese New Year. Simple and very tasty.
Simple, delicious and a hit with the family. I pan-fried an extra sausage and used that for extra garnish just before serving.
The chicken is braised over low heat, covered for about 20-25 minutes until cooked and tender. Adjust the seasoning to your taste. This dish is also great for a weeknight dinner, get everything ready in the morning, keep in the refrigerator, and do the cooking later in the evening, quick, easy and very tasty.
Serve immediately with white rice.
I'm sharing this with :
Claypot Chicken with Chinese Sausage
(adaped from "Quick and Easy Hawker Fair" with some changes)
2 whole chicken legs, skinned and cut to pieces
1 can button mushroom, cut into half
2 Chinese sausages, remove casing and slice to thick slices diagonally
1 Chinese sausages, leave whole
6 garlic cloves, remove skin, leave whole
6 shallots, remove skin, leave whole
1 cup hot water
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp Shaoxing wine
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
dash of pepper
2 stalks spring onions, cut to 2-3" lengths
- Heat about 1 teaspoon of oil in wok or saucepan over very low heat. Add in one whole Chinese sausage, stir for a couple of minutes until cooked and casing is blistered. Remove from heat and keep aside. When cool enough to handle, discard casing and slice the sausage thinly at a diagonal. Place in small bowl, keep covered and put aside.
- Heat up 2 tablespoons oil in claypot, saute garlic and shallots until fragrant. Add in chicken pieces and stir for a few minutes until chicken turns white.
- Add in the uncooked sliced Chinese sausages, button mushrooms, hot water and seasoning. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Cover claypot, reduce heat to low and continue to braise over low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring two or three times in between. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Turn off heat when chicken is cooked and tender, stir in the spring onions. Just before serving, garnish with more spring onions and top with the sliced sausages from no. 1 above.
- Serve immediately with white rice.