Sunday, December 21, 2014

Roasted Chicken Legs with Potatoes

"December Potluck" the theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). I've made one of Nigella Lawson's roasted duck legs recipe, but used chicken legs instead. And instead of thyme leaves, I've used fresh rosemary leaves from my garden pot. 



This is just a simple roast that do not require lots of ingredients, but the end result is just delicious. I've used chicken legs which I jointed. Using the technique from Diana Henry when I made one of her chicken recipes months ago, I rubbed the salt on the chicken skin to crisp up the skin during roasting. I've skipped the searing part on the stove. And I've used a mixture of chad potatoes and russet potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, scatter the rosemary and baked for about an hour until the chicken is cooked and the skin is golden brown and crispy. If duck legs is used, recipe instructs to roast it for about 2 hours.


Simple and yummy!


Roasted Duck Legs and Potatoes
(adapted from "Nigella Kitchen", Nigella Lawson)
2 duck legs (chicken legs)
2 baking potatoes or 1 pound other large white-skinned potatoes
few sprigs fresh thyme
salt and pepper

  1. Preheat the oven to 400F. On the stove, heat a small roasting pan (Nigella uses a slightly oversized tarte tatin pan) and sear the duck legs, skin-side down, over medium heat until the skin turns golden and gives out some oil.
  2. Turn the legs over, and take the pan off the heat while you cut the potatoes into 1-inch slices across, then cut each slice into 4. Arrange these potato pieces around the duck legs, then let a few sprigs of thyme fall over the duck and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper, before putting into the preheated oven.
  3. Cook for 2 hours, occasionally turning the potatoes, for optimal outcome, which is tender duck legs and crispy potatoes, though both will be ready to eat after 1-/2 hours.

(I've skipped the searing of the chicken legs, simply rubbed the skin with salt and roast as per recipe).


*************************************

I'm linking this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week "December Potluck"






*************************


I would like to wish everyone

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A BLESSED NEW YEAR!


(I am on a short blogging break, see you when I get back!)


18 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce,
    Tasty and yummy food need not be complicated at times. Thanks for sharing this simple and yummy dish.
    Blessed Christmas to you & family ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olá amiga, hoje quero agradecer a Deus pelo dom da sua vida, e desejar a você e sua família
    um feliz e santo Natal, cheio de saúde e alegria!!!
    Que seu coração esteja preparado para receber o Menino Deus!!!
    Um grande abraço, Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, I love this! Roasted chicken legs with potatoes is an all time favourite in my house. No chicken breasts is allowed, only legs and thighs. hah...hah...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like the perfect dinner--easy and with big flavor. I like the color you got on the chicken and potatoes too. Yum!
    Merry Christmas Joyce! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I want to try it soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum, Roasted Duck Legs with Potatoes. I actually considered making duck for Christmas this year, Joyce, lol...

    Thank you so much for sharing, Joyce...A very Merry Christmas to You and Yours! Enjoy your break and we'll "see" you next year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello joyce! that's a simple recipe , love that! Merry Christmas, catch up with you later!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roasted chicken and potatoes are one of top favourites.
    Happy Holidays, Joyce!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stopping by to wish you a happy new year and hope you had a lovely Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chicken and rosemary go so well together - that dish looks perfectly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year and always happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simple and delicious. I like that you opted to use rosemary. It's definitely a seasonal herb. Another perfect family meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. it all looks amazing! The potatoes alongside the chicken both gleaming from the flavors just makes my mouth water. Happy holidays and here is blogging about delicious food in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice, indeed! Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a perfect meal to prepare after a busy day at work. We love chicken and I'm always looking for new ways to prepare it. Hope you have had a lovely holiday- best wishes for 2015! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the simplicity of this dish, and although I bet the duck legs are amazing, chicken legs make a quick and affordable alternative. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete