Friday, July 1, 2016

Cookbook Countdown #7 : Vanilla Ice Cream, Philadelphia-Style

Cookbook Countdown is a monthly cooking/baking event, which I'm co-hosting with Emily's Cooking (Makan2) Foray.  Everyone is welcome to join us. How does it work? To summarize, you may select a cookbook from your own cookbook collection, to cook or bake from each month. That selected book shall be your cookbook of the month. You may cook any recipes and as many recipes as you want from your selected book of the month. This is a fabulous way of using your cookbooks at least once! For more information on how to join Cookbook Countdown, please click here. 


************************


My selected cookbook for this month, 



I have several books on ice cream, but this is the one that I always to go when it's time to make a batch of ice cream. I have tried many recipes from this book and there are many more I am looking forward to try! The weather has been very, very hot lately, so ice cream and frozen desserts are always welcome anytime of the day. Yup, this is gonna be a month of frozen delights! 

What is your favourite ice cream flavour? I love all flavours. And I love vanilla ice creams. I have made a few different recipes of vanilla ice cream, and this is the easiest one of all. There's no need to cook any custard, the only cooking is to warm some of the heavy cream with the sugar and vanilla seeds just until the sugar has completely melted. The rest of the heavy cream with some vanilla extract is mixed into the mixture and chill until cold. Remove the vanilla pods before churning the mixture in the ice cream maker.



This ice cream is delicious, it is light, creamy and soft. The only change I made was to reduce the amount of sugar to slightly less than 1/4 cup and the sweetness was just right.  I have made this a number of times, sometimes we enjoy it plain as it is (which is very yummy!), other times we had it with some other desserts, like the one below.



A slice of Chocolate-Bourbon Bundt Cake with a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream, Philadelphia Style. Perfect match, simply divine!


Vanilla Ice Cream, Philadelphia-Style
3 cups (750ml) heavy cream, or 2 cups (500ml) heavy cream and 1 cup (250ml) whole milk
3/4 cup (150gm) sugar (I use scant 1/4 cup)
pinch of salt
1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Pour 1 cup (250ml) of the cream into a medium saucepan and add the sugar and salt. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the saucepan and add the pod to the pot. Warm over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
Remove from the heat and add the remaining 2 cups (500ml) cream (or the remaining 1 cup, 250ml, cream and the milk) and the vanilla extract.
Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator. When ready to churn, remove the vanilla bean, rinsing and reserving it for another use, and then freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.


I'm linking this post with Cookbook Countdown #7 hosted by 





6 comments:

  1. So very creamy and smooth! Well done, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!
    This book is full of delicious cold treats, but I usually reduce the sugar a lot also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be a huge vanilla ice cream fan, but now my favourite is coffee. Nothing beats it, so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummmmm, nothing beats the taste of home made ice cream right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That ice cream looks perfect with the rich chocolate cake. I have this book and that is my go-to vanilla ice cream recipe.

    ReplyDelete