Monday, February 20, 2017

Victoria Sponge

This month, at The Cake Slice Bakers, the four recipes selected from the book World Class Cakes by Roger Pizey, which we are currently baking from are ;

Victoria Sponge
Red Velvet Cake
Almond Tart with Honey
Chocolate Cheesecake

Members can choose any of those cakes to bake, and my choice is Victoria Sponge Cake. A very easy and simple cake to make, baked in two pans, then sandwiched together with jam and cream. I've made half a recipe and used two 5" round cake pans to bake the cakes. Batter is easy and quick to prepare, uses self-raising flour and baking powder. I have reduced the sugar slightly to scant 1/3 cup for half a recipe, and the sweetness works out great. For the jam, I've used my own homemade strawberry jam.

The Creme Chantilly is made by whipping heavy cream, confectioner's sugar and vanilla extract. To make the Creme Chantilly, I've used about half a cup of heavy cream with one tablespoon confectioners' sugar with a small amount of vanilla extract. And I've used only half of  the Creme Chantilly to assemble the cake.



Assemble the cake by using one of the two cakes as the base (trim off the top of the cake to level it), spread some strawberry jam and then the Creme Chantilly. Top with the remaining cake and dust generously with confectioners' sugar. 



Cake is deliciously soft, buttery and spongy. I'm glad I've reduced the sugar slightly. The cake is not too sweet, with my not-too-sweet homemade strawberry jam, and the Creme Chantilly, this makes a lovely dessert.


10 comments:

  1. So beautifully done! Haven't had one in years...now I really crave one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of our favorite cakes! Looks good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful! I was afraid the cake my be too sweet, but with your tips, this looks like a delicious cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Victoria Sponge and this look wonderful Joyce!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cake looks wonderfully light and fluffy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable mini-cake! Looks like the perfect treat to go with a nice cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty little cake! Yours looks much more moist than mine did. I am starting to wonder if I didn't overbake mine a bit. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great dessert. Smart to make a mini cake. Then you aren't tempted to keep eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cake looks so much airier than mine did. And I love that you used homemade jam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you got a beautiful rise on your cake, and the Creme Chantilly and jam look wonderful. Seeing this has me wanting to make this cake again.

    ReplyDelete