Friday, March 31, 2017

Green Beans with Snail Butter

It's Cook the Book Fridays, and this week's selected recipe from My Paris Kitchen by David Lebovitz is Green Beans With Snail Butter (Haricots Verts Au Beurre D'Escargot). As David says in the book, "Don't worry, there are no snails in beurre d'escargot,  the name refers to butter mixed with a copious amount of garlic that is used for baking snails."

This is an easy dish with simple ingredients, yet so delicious. 



The green beans I bought were young, tender and very sweet. I removed the pointed ends of the beans, as we always eat them that way. David has left the green beans whole but I have snapped them in two, easier to eat that way! 

One thing I did not follow was to steam the green beans. Instead of steaming, I microwaved them with some sprinkling of water for 3 minutes on high. To cook the green beans, melt butter in a large skillet, add the garlic and cook until they begin to brown, stir in the parsley (I've used fresh coriander leaves), salt and black pepper. Add the green beans and stir until the beans are completely cooked and coated with the garlicky butter. 

One thing I have forgotten to add is the lemon juice! Only noticed the lemon sitting on my kitchen counter when I was clearing up after dinner! Oops... but even without the lemon juice, this dish is still delicious!


All my favourite ingredients in this stir-fry dish ; sweet green beans, garlic, coriander leaves. I could finish a plate all on its own, no kidding!



16 comments:

  1. These were very tasty! I loved the addition of the lemon, though sure it was great with the coriander. It sounds like tou will make these again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I'd have to call it something else! Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, tips removed (along with the side strip!) as taught by my mother! and cut into two! Thanks for reminding me why this is called snail butter beans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very flavourful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coriander would definitely give it a very different flavour. Would not have worked with the main course I served it with but great to keep in mind fir the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could finish the whole plate of green beans too, with or without the finishing touch of fresh lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce, those green beans look delicious! I can eat them on their own. Very good for roughage hee..hee..

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yummm, I love !this Was a bit worried when the name said snails , LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet this was great with coriander leaves! I did not add the lemon either. This was a great dish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I forgot the lemon juice too, but these were great without it. Yours looks so bright and the color is
    perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy you enjoyed these! They look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was thinking what snail butter was when I saw the title too! Phew luckily it doesn't contain actual snails :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous photo of the green beans--they are probably my favorite vegetable! I also always trim the tips and had no idea that others don't usually do that as well. Glad it was enjoyed even without the lemon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All the photos of the green beans are beautiful this week and yours are the perfect spring green color. I will probably go with your microwaving method for cooking the beans. I'm planning on making them next week (into the packing-up and going home mode right now) and serve them with salmon. Hopefully that will be a good combo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think whether you steam, blanch, roast, or microwave green beans, they're always delicious. Especially sauced with lemony garlic butter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This really was a fantastic dish! One I will be making again and again.

    ReplyDelete