Monday, October 9, 2017

Scallion Basmati Rice

Week two with Ina Garten at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), and this week's theme is Monthly Featured Ingredient/Dish - Alliums! Garlic, onions, leeks, chives, scallions, shallots...and we get to select any recipe that uses one or more of these ingredients from any of the featured chefs at IHCC's chefs list. Recipes are endless! 

Decided to make Ina Garten's Scallion Basmati Rice. 



Instead of cooking the rice over the stove, I use the rice cooker, so that I could use my time to get on with other dishes. Start by sauteing chopped yellow onion in some oil until translucent, then add the basmati rice, stir well. At this point, I transfer the rice into the rice cooker, then add some water and salt. Let the rice cooker do the cooking, with the keep warm function when the rice is done. When it is time to serve, simply fluff rice with a fork (I use a pair of chopsticks), add the chopped scallions and parsley (I use cilantro). Serve immediately.

Very nice rice! We had this with two other dishes, coming up in next post.
Will definitely make this rice again! 


Scallion Basmati Rice
(source from foodnetwork.com, recipe by Ina Garten)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter or olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 cup long grain basmati rice
1-3/4 cups water
1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 cup sliced scallions
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley

Cook the butter and onions over medium beat until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and toss until all of the grains are coated with the butter. Add the water and salt, cover and cook until
the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to sit covered for 5 to 10 minutes. Add the scallions and parsley, fluff with a fork, and serve.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week,
October Monthly Featured Ingredient Challenge : Alliums




7 comments:

  1. A simple and delicious side dish, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a simple-looking dish packed with a nice punch of alliums! I used the rice cooker all the times, for quinoa too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a lovely recipe, nice and simple. Havent used my rice cooker for a while, been cooking my rice on stove top as its just me and my little one eating lunch at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My rice cooker is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets. This looks like a good rice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you mentioned your rice cooker. I've been wanting to buy one of those just to free up space on my stove for cooking the main course and other sides, etc. Not to mention my new stove is horrible when it comes to cooking rice - I can't figure it out. I also like the tip about using chopsticks to fluff the rice. Seems easier on the pan instead of using a metal fork that can scratch, etc.

    This dish looks delicious and uses two different alliums (and my favorites)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks perfect with some curry. You have me craving rice for lunch! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the green and white. It looks very flavorful!

    ReplyDelete