Monday, January 22, 2018

Mexican Hot Chocolate

"Get Cozy" is the theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs. "This time of year it's nice to snuggle up on the sofa, GET COZY with something yummy to eat and bingewatch the next Netflix hit"  Well, I would love to snuggle up on the sofa, get cozy with something yummy and browsing thru a couple of my cookbooks!  I am not a TV person, but I would browse through my cookbooks every night.




Ina Garten's Mexican Hot Chocolate is very good, easy and quick to make. Milk and a tablespoon of brown sugar is simmered, then remove from heat, and whisk in chopped bittersweet chocolate, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon and a pinch of ground cayenne pepper. Let sit for a few minutes, then reheated until the mixture comes to almost a simmer. Serve immediately with a cinnamon stick as a stirrer.

Ina has included a recipe for Cinnamon Baked Doughnuts for dipping into the hot chocolate, but I have omitted that. All I need after a busy day when I was looking forward to relax with a couple of my cookbooks for company, is just a cup of comfy beverage, and Ina's Mexican Hot Chocolate does just that!

We love this! It is very chocolaty, "cinnamony-fragrant", with a slight spicy kick of the cayenne powder. This is the first time I'm using cayenne powder in a chocolate drink, and it definitely would not be the last time. Very yummy indeed! Both my son and daughter are already asking me to make this hot chocolate drink again!


Mexican Hot Chocolate
(source : barefootcontessa.com)
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
  • 4½ ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • ¹⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Small pinch of ground cayenne pepper
  • Long cinnamon sticks for stirrers (optional)

Place the milk and brown sugar in a medium saucepan and bring just to a simmer. Off the heat, whisk in the chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Allow to steep for 3 minutes. Reheat the mixture over low heat until it almost comes to a simmer.
Pour into mugs, add cinnamon stirrers, if using, and serve with cinnamon doughnuts for dipping.
I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week
Get Cozy!





7 comments:

  1. Perfect for the cold rainy weather we have over here, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a long time, I thought that I was very weird, because I would rather read my cookbooks than watching TV. I am glad that I know you who has the same habit. Browsing through my cookbooks is my favorite sport, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had hot chocolate before and this looks interesting what with cinnamon and cayenne pepper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the picture of a cup of hot chocolate next to the cookbooks. Warm and relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, I love cozying up with a hot drink, some fluffy blankets, and my cookbooks. I think I made a white hot chocolate with cinnamon when we cooked with Ellie. This one looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this cake looks wonderful! xo

    ReplyDelete