Saturday, February 3, 2018

String Beans with Shallots

I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week is How Good Does That Look?, Ina's popular phrase in her cooking shows, when she has cooked a delicious recipe, and plated, she would say just that.

I've made one of her simple vegetable recipe for dinner. String Beans with Shallots. Ina has her string beans boiled briefly in salted boiling water. I have gone the microwave route. Placed the french beans in a microwave bowl, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of water with a light pinch of salt, microwave on high for 1 minute, stir, repeat, stir and repeat again. Refresh under cold running water in a colander. Drain. I have used about 6 or 7 shallots, and have skipped the butter, using only vegetable oil. 

The chopped shallots are sauteed in oil until lightly brown and the french beans are added to the shallots, with some salt and lots of black pepper, tossing the beans until they are heated through.


How good does that look!
Simple, easy and taste nice too!

We had the french beans served alongside Madhur Jaffrey's Pork Vindaloo with Potatoes, and plain basmati rice. It was a lovely dinner.


String Beans with Shallots
(Ina Garten, foodnetwork.com)
1 pound French String Beans (haricots verts), ends removed
kosher salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon good olive oil
3 large shallots, large diced
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Blanch the string beans in a large pot of boiling salted water for 1-1/2 minutes only. Drain immediately and immerse in a bowl of iced water.
Heat the butter and oil in a very large saute pan (12-inch diameter) or large pot and saute the shallots on medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned. Drain the string beans and add to the shallots with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper, tossing well. Heat only until the beans are hot.
If you're using regular string beans, blanch them for 3 minutes, until they're crisp-tender.

I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week
How Good Does That Look?



7 comments:

  1. Love this plate Joyce looks really delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really good! French beans, one of my favorite veges :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A simple and very delicious side dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gloriously green and gorgeous! I'm so impressed that you made pork vindaloo, rice, and spent time to make a gorgeous vegetable on the side. My side dishes and vegetables are almost always afterthoughts. I never give them the glory they deserve. I bet this was delicious with all the yummy shallots - I like shallots so much better than onions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some shallots at home and may try this recipe. We love green beans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to serve beans like that? do you grow your own beans?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love string beans and Ina's recipes too, thanks for sharing, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete