Fried rice is an easy alternative meal that can be prepared in a jiffy. All you need is some cold cooked rice and as for the ingredients, simply "dump" in any leftover meat or vegetables, add some seasoning and that's it, you will have a bowl of meal.
Fried rice is really so popular among children, not that I'm surprised, being a fan of fried rice myself! Even though, fried rice can be found sold in almost all hawker centres and restaurants, it is really very difficult to get really very good ones that will keep you going back for more. They are usually laden with monosodium glutamate that is so obvious in every spoonful! I prefer homecooked ones.
For my kids' lunch after school today, I have cooked 'fragrant fried rice' for them. This will certainly please them as it is one of their favourite meal.
This is a simple meal with simple ingredients. You will need some chinese sausages. Other ingredients like ginger, garlic, shallots and eggs, I'm sure these can be found in your kitchen. Give this a try. It is really a tasty, hearty and satisfying meal.
Fragrant Fried Rice with Chinese Sausage
3 cups cold cooked rice
4 chinese sausages
6 cloves garlic
1 piece ginger (about 2" long)
3 large eggs
1 tbsp light soy sauce
salt to taste
dash of pepper
dash of sesame oil
- Chop garlic, sliced shallots to thin slices, slice ginger to julienne strips, cut chinese sausages into half lengthwise and cut to thin slices. Lightly beat eggs and season with 1 tsp light soy sauce and dash of pepper.
- Heat about 2 tbsp oil. Fry chopped garlic until light brown and crispy. Dish out to a plate. In same oil, fry shallots till light brown and crispy. Dish out to the same plate. Add a little more oil if not enough. Fry ginger till light brown and crispy. Dish out to the same plate. Keep aside.
- In the same oil, fry chinese sausages for about 30 seconds. Dish out to another plate. Keep aside.
- In the same oil, pour the eggs in and just when it is about to set, scramble them into pieces and fry for about 1-2 minutes. Add in cold cooked rice and stir till evenly mixed. Add in the chinese sausages and stir for about 2 minutes. Add in about 1 tbsp light soy sauce, dash of sesame oil and salt to taste. Keep stirring for another minute or two.
- Lastly, add the mixed fried garlic, shallots and ginger. Stir to mix well. Serve.