Friday, August 27, 2010

Crunchy Oat Flapjacks and Award





First of all, I'm very excited to have been given my very first award!  I'm gonna fill with the details right after this delicious flapjacks.  This flapjack is absolutely fabulous.  Crunchy Oat Flapjacks are crunchy right after baking but it gets chewier when it cools.  This is easily the best flapjacks I have eaten, not that I have eaten that many flapjacks, as I am not a big fan of flapjacks. Each time when I flip through my book, I would always go back to this page.  I am not particularly fond of flapjacks, but this recipe has really caught my attention.  So in order to sort of put an end to it, I decided to give it a try.  I was pleasantly surprised that after making and eating this, I have change my mind, flapjacks are indeed delicious, especially with a tall glass of very cold milk, yummy!   I went ahead with the variation by adding raisins,  make sure you soak them first so that they are juicy and plump.
I only made half the recipe but I add more sunflower seeds, I use  2 tablespoons.  If you do not have any particular favorite flapjack recipe, give this a try, this might just be the one!  It is a great snack.












Crunchy Oat Flapjacks
(adapted from "brownies and bars" by Liz Franklin)
Preparation time : 40  minutes
Makes 12
You will need a roasting tin or shallow tin measuring 20 x 25cm /8 x 10 inches

180 gm/6-1/2 oz butter
180gm /6-1/2 oz light brown sugar (for half a recipe, I use 60gm)
4 tablespoons golden syrup
375 gm/13 oz whole porridge oats ( I use jumbo rolled oats)
50 gm/1-3/4 oz cornflakes

Preheat the oven to 180 C/350F/gas mark 4.  Gently melt the butter, brown sugar and golden syrup together in a saucepan set over a low heat. (Alternatively, microwave on high for 1-2 minutes).
Gently stir in the whole porridge oats and cornflakes, taking care not to break them up too much.  Spoon the mixture into the baking tin.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until the flapjacks have turned golden and become firm.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes or so and then cut into bars.   Leave the flapjacks to cool completely before lifting them out of the tin.  Store in an airtight container.

Variation:
A handful of raisins (about 85 gm/3 oz) makes an excellent, juicy addition to these flapjacks.  A tablespoon of roasted sunflower seeds adds an extra crunchy dimension.

**************************************

Exciting news!  Good news!   I have been given the following "Versatile Blogger Award" by one of the fabulous site whom I really admire, "The Ardent Epicure".  As a new blogger with less than a year of blogging, it has been a wonderful adventure and fun way to meet other bloggers who have something very much in common, the love for food!  For me, besides sharing our love of food, it is also a way to enable me to connect with friends from all over.  It is a reward, when at the end of the day, or some stolen moments during my busy hour, when I sit down in front of  my computer, I found someone out there, a blogger friend from far away, took sometime to read my posts and left a comment, however short, really makes my day. Thank you, friends!





In accepting this award, there are a few rules which I am happy to adhere :


The rules for excepting this award are :
1) Thank the person who gave it to you
2) List 7 things about yourself, and team members if you have them
3) Pass on to 10 bloggers that are new to you and you admire


I am really honored to receive this Versatile Blogger Award. I am really excited to bits!  The Ardent Epicure is a fabulous site comprises of three very talented persons and they are "Truffle Shuffle - Adam, Sugar and Spice - Grely and Magic of Spice - Alisha". They have an outrageously fantastic site and fabulous, really fabulous recipes!  Those of you who are familiar with them will know what I mean, if you have not look into their site before, please do, and you will see how much they enjoy food and their creativity and passion for good food really flows in their wonderful site. 

7 things about myself :
1) I read cookbooks every night at bedtime.
2) Trying hard to resist buying more cookbooks!
3) Worked for 20 odd years, now SAHM and enjoying every moment of it.
4) Really love spicy food.
5) My favourite places to be : bookstore and the market.
6) I love gardening and dream of a big garden to grow my veggies, especially tomatoes!
7) Read Harry Porter twice!

I would like to pass on this award to 10 blogger friends whom I really admire.  Please do visit them as each one of them is fabulous and unique in their own way.  Here they are, in random order :

1.  Simply Healthy Family
2.  Pam's Midwest Kitchen Korner
3.  My Kitchen in the Rockies
4.  Mommy's Kitchen
5.  scrambled hen fruit
6.  My Fabulous Recipes
7.  Sankeerthanam
8.  Angie's Recipes
9.  Super Yummy Recipes
10. At Home With Rebecka

Please take a moment to click on  all of the above and and make some new blogger friends.  Have fun getting to know one another!  Thank you to all my blogger friends out there for the support and making blogging such fun!



29 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the award! :-))
    Could you also pass the oat flapacks over? LOL

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Malacca, Thank you so much for passing on the award to me. I am honored.
    The oat bars would work great for my hiking boys to take on one of their trips.
    Thanks, again.
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on your award..Wish you many more such in future..

    Flapjacks looks tempting and irresistible..I am thinking of making this for a long time..your recipe and photos are making me to try this soon..thanks for sharing..hv a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg, wat a fabulous and irresistible flapjacks..congrats on ur award..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Malacca! Congrats on winning the award! Thank you so much for passing it on to me! That is very kind of you and I feel honored!

    Your list is great and mine would be exactly like yours with reading cookbooks, gardening and spicy food. I will have to be reading Harry Potter though. :)

    Your flapjacks look delicious and I love the raisin addition you made. You have a great blog that I enjoy reading! Keep up the good work and thanks again for the award!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Malacca, I'm not sure if you received my earlier "thank you" because it hasn't posted to your comments yet...maybe it will be moderated then appear later? Hope so, but if not....I'll extend another heart felt thank you for awarding me with The Versatile Blooger Award!

    I posted it to my blog so my followers can read and make their way to all the other winners!!

    Hugs Rebecka

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi dear ,
    congrats on ur award n thanks a ton for sharing this award with me ...really it means a lot me ...those flapjacks looks very crispy n perfect ...never made anything like this ...thanks for sharing

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!!! Happy for you. I am only reading one cooking blog...yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your award and thanks for sharing it with me! I always love reading about what you've been cooking or growing in your garden. I love reading cookbooks too, and find them hard to resist. Those flapjacks look like they'd make good after school snacks- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Angie,
    You're welcome! I wish I could just pass over the flapjacks to you!

    Hi My Kitchen in the Rockies,
    Your're welcome! Yes, the oats flapjack bars would be a great idea for your hiking boys.

    Hi Suman Singh,
    You are new to my blog! Thank you for your kind words! Will visit you soon.

    Hi Priya,
    Thank you! See you. Have a nice weekend.

    Hi Pam,
    You're welcome! I enjoyed your postings too and always looking out for your new posts. Keep them coming! How many cookbooks do you have?...did u count them? I did not...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rebecka,
    You're welcome! It is my pleasure to pass this award to you. I have read your posting on this! Thank you so much for accepting this award! Hope you have a lovely weekend!

    Hi Satya,
    You're welcome! I really enjoyed reading your posts. Looking forward to the next one! Have a nice weekend!

    Hi One,
    Thank you! Wow, I'm honoured to be the only cooking blog you click to! You are indeed amusing.... Hey, there's so many outrageously good cooking blogs around, just click one and have fun, who knows, besides gardening, you might find that cooking is your next hidden talent! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi scrambledhenfruit,
    You're welcome! I have always enjoyed reading your posts! Guess what, I have made the habanero jelly without the habanero, LOL, couldn't find any, but substitute with our local extremely hot pepper. In fact, it is in the cooling process now. Could not wait to try it! Will keep you informed! Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a healthy way to enjoy a treat or a grab n' go breakfast. This is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Velva,
    Thank you for stopping by. I have just been over to yours. You have a great site. Have just joined you. Hope to see you again. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your award! And thanks for sharing some of yourself so we can get to know you better. I like the flapjacks! They make a tasty, healthy snack!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Malacca, first those flapjacks look wonderful. Second thank you for the lovely comments about us, and I am glad that you were pleased by the award. Third I am very excited to see your choices as they are all new to me aside from Angie's site :) Have a lovely day...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bravo pour le prix.
    je vais aller visiter les blogs proposés.
    J'aime beaucoup les barres. Elles me semblent délicieuses.
    Je note la recette.
    Bon dimanche et à bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My son is a lifeguard and sometimes gets overheated and needs a healthy snack. This may be the one. Thanks for sharing.

    Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Reeni,
    Thank you for your kind words! The flapjacks makes a wonderful snack! Have a nice day.

    Hi Magic of Spice,
    Thank you and yes, I'm pleased about the award. Thanks again for extending it to me! I have seen that you have visited the ones that I have chosen. That's very kind and thoughtful of you. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Nadji,
    Thank you and congratulations to you too. See you. Have a lovely day.

    Hi Chef Bee
    This flapjack indeed makes a very convenient and great snack.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on the award. What an honour for such a young blog.
    There's nothing like a good flapjack recipe. The one I like to use has been handed down through 2 generations in my family but I have to say, yours looks mighty tempting too!

    I notice that you have another blog, which I am just off to read now too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good for you, you definately deserve a fun award! Love your blog. Thank you so much for passing on the love to me, I'm honored you like my blog!!
    I will have to try these flapjacks so my kiddos can take them to school for a great snack!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Alice,
    Welcome to my blog! Nice of you to drop by. Thank you for your kind words. Hope to see you again. Am going to visit you now. Have a nice day!

    Hi Healthy Mamma
    Thanks, Gwen. You're welcome. I really enjoyed your postings too. You have fantastic delicious healthy food recipes and it is always a pleasure to see what you will whiz up next! See you! Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! Congratulations!!! I am excited and proud of you, keep up the good work-FOOD and LOVE sure makes the world go round......and bring people from all over closer together!! Just great!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. these flapjacks look great! I only happened to try them once in the U.K. and always wondered how they were made...gotta try them! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi taikachea,
    Yup, food and love sure makes the world go round including the tummies!

    Hi giulia,
    These are really very easy to do. Give them a try and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi,

    may i know how much did you use raisins for the 1/2 of the recipe? is it 85g or half of that? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fir,
      For half a recipe, use about 40-50gm of raisins. The amount 85gm is for the full recipe. Have fun baking and eating!
      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply! :D

      Delete