Friday, November 12, 2010

Tiramisu Roulade

Found this recipe at Cakes, Biscuits and Slices from Australian Women's Weekly.  There's  no oil or butter in this cake. The texture is soft but not as soft as other swiss roll I've eaten before and it is a little bit too sweet for me. This is quite a nice cake, but I would prefer if it is a little more spongy with a softer texture. But my hubby seems to like this cake. He says this cake is really nice and the sweetness is just right, and he usually doesn't like anything that is sweet! Or perhaps it is just me! Has anyone tried this recipe before? What do you think? 









I'm sharing this with Recipe Swap Thursday at Prairie Story

Tiramisu Roulade
(adapted from "Cakes, Biscuits &  Slices" from Australian Women's Weekly)
2 tbsp coffee-flavoured liquer (I use Kahlua)
1/4 cup (60 ml) water
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp instant coffee granules
1 tbsp boiling water
3 eggs
1/2 cup (110gm) caster sugar, extra
1/2 cup (75gm) plain flour
2 tbsp flaked almonds

Coffee Liquer Cream
1 cup (250gm) mascarpone
1/2 cup (125ml) thickned cream
2 tbsps coffee-flavoured liquer


  1. Preheat oven to hot (220C/200C fan-forced).  Grease 25cm x 30cm swiss roll pan; line base and two long sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm over long sides.
  2. Combine liquer with the water and sugar in small saucepan; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, without stirring, about 5 minutes or until syrup thickens slightly.  Remove from heat, stir in half of the coffee; reserve syrup.
  3. Dissolve the remaining coffee in the boiling water.
  4. Beat eggs and extra sugar in small bowl with electric mixer about 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and mixture is thick; transfer to large bowl, fold in dissolved coffee.
  5. Meanwhile, sift flour twice onto paper.  Sift flour over egg mixture then fold gently into mixture.  Spread sponge mixture into pan; sprinkle with almonds.  Bake about 15 minutes.
  6. Meanwhile, place a piece of baking paper cut the same size as swiss roll pan on bench; sprinkle evenly with about 2 teaspoons of caster sugar.  Turn sponge onto sugared paper; peel away lining paper. Use serrated knife to cut crisp edges from all sides of sponge.  Roll sponge from long side, using paper as guide; cool.
  7. Meanwhile, beat ingredients for coffee liquer cream in small bowl with electric mixer until firm peaks form.  Unroll sponge, brush with reserved syrup.  Spread cream over sponge then re-roll sponge. Cover roulade with plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.

******************************

CULINARY SMACKDOWN "LET'S GET TANGY WITH CITRUS" NOVEMBER 2010
For more details and to submit your entry please click here. Remember the challenge ends on November 29th, 2010 at 12.00 noon, Malaysia time. Good luck!




19 comments:

  1. Tiramisu and Swiss rolls in one, sounds good and looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me too! I love anything with marscapone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're in my head!
    I allways plan to do it, never make it...
    Your recipe is great!

    Thank you for sharing.
    Z.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks heavenly! Love the Kaluha and the marscapone in it! Yummm! Thanks, I am printing it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We would also like this cake a lot. It looks and sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMYumminess!!! What a treat indeed! The sight of this dessert is enough for me to fall inlove with it...you did a gorgeous job making it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woww roulade looks absolutely delicious...fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! This roulade look amazing!! and delicious! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous! I have never made one of these - I'm always afraid there going to crack on me. I do love the flavors in it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Tiramisu! This will be fun to make, thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks and sounds sensational - I would totally love a piece of this :-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so yummy... I think this is the perfect piece to restore my appetite... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oil-free cake rolls sound great for me too. The cake roll looks wonderful with all the flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous cake. I'll wager it's as delicious as it is beautiful. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks VERY good- in fact I'd love a slice of it now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi everyone,
    Thank you for your sweet words! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting that there is not oil or butter in the recipe...Looks wonderful, but I would probably like it a bit softer too.
    Very beautiful cake :)

    ReplyDelete