Saturday, September 3, 2011

Double Chocolate Muffins

This muffin is so soft, moist and fluffy with tender crumbs. I found this recipe from  "Good Housekeeping" magazine. A perfect muffin to snack on with a glass of cold milk, or for me, a cup of coffee.














DOUBLE CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
(adapted from "Good Housekeeping, Christmas Cookbook" December 2010 edition)
125gm (4oz) unsalted butter
100gm (3-1/2oz) plain chocolate
225gm (8oz) plain flour
1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
40gm (1-1/2oz) cocoa powder
175gm (6oz) golden caster sugar (I use 150gm brown sugar)
200gm (7oz) white chocolate, chopped (I use white choc chips)
1 medium egg
200ml (7fl oz) milk
150gm natural yoghurt
1 tsp vanilla extract

  1. Preheat the oven to 190C (170C fan) mark 5. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
  2. Melt the butter and plain chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure the base doesn't touch the water. Mix together very gently and leave to cool a little.
  3. Meanwhile, put the flour in a large bowl. Add the bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder, caster sugar, white chocolate and a pinch of salt. Stir everything together. Put the egg, milk, yoghurt and vanilla extract in a jug and beat together.
  4. Pour both the egg mix and the chocolate mix on to the dry ingredients, then roughly fold together. Be careful not to overmix, or the muffins won't rise properly.
  5. Divide the batter among the paper cases. Bake for 20-25 minutes until well risen and springy. Take each muffin out of the tin and cool on a wire rack before serving.
If not serving immediately, the muffins will keep in an airtight container for up to three days.


36 comments:

  1. Mmm...I can see this muffin is really very soft. Thanks for sharing the lovely recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These muffins look divine! We're in the middle of a tropical storm right now and I think I'll make these muffins while we still have electricity. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These babies are fabulous! Cant wait to try making them using my new psychedelic pink silicon baking pan - a gift from mom :) Thanks for sharing dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your muffins are fantastic, they must be delicious!
    kisses and good weekend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's great these have white chocolate chips instead of dark or semi-sweet. This way they won't be too chocolatey (if there is such a thing, lol). They look really good Joy, I might have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look delicious! I'll take mine with coffee. :) I like the pink cupcake liners, did they get greasy? Have a great weekend, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These muffins look delicious I love these!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness those look positively naughty! Love them :) Especially the white chocolate chips. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm These look delcious. I love the photos. They really show how moist and delicious they are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look good, full of choco flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The last pic is a proof how moist and soft it is !! Too good to miss this recipe. Perfect dear

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those chocolate muffins look irresistible- full of chocolate deliciousness! I'm thinking they'd be good for breakfast or a snack any time of day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, I'll definitely be making these with white chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks so moist! I wonder if it'll be the same if I replace soda with baking powder?

    ReplyDelete
  15. wonderful looking choc muffins! a delicious treat!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ohhhh these look amazing!! And I LOVE your plate!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am obsessed with choclate at th moment! These look perfect; so fluffy...and filled iwth chocolate too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Drooling over the picture which reveals the moist inside of this delicious muffin!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Very chocolatety treats muffins... and my family will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are so sweet and scrumptious! I love the white chocolate mixed in with the dark - delectable! Have a great week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my heavens, those muffins look delicious! I sure could use one about now.

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rich and luscious! Love the use of black and white chocolates in those muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This choc muffins look really moist and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Joy,
    Oh my who wouldn't want Double Chocolate Muffins, these look awesome! Hope you will have a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wat an irresistible muffins, soo tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would wake up for these any day!

    Thanks for stopping by sweet tooth Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi friends,
    Thank you for stopping by! I appreciate all your comments. Please do try out this muffin, it is really soft and moist. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mmmm, they look so dense, rich and moist ~ iresistible!
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  29. JOY, these look delicious. I know they are from a Christmas cookbook, but they would be wonderful for a birthday brunch celebration, and I have a couple coming up. Thanks so much for sharing with Cookbook Sunday, and yes please come back again!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Look so moist and delicious. Hmmm, perfect with a cup of coffee. Love the sweet pink muffin paper-liners.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I baked these and it is truly a keeper! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Joyce (again) hahaha I LOVE chocolate muffins! esp ones from Mc Cafe! hahaha, thanks for sharing:D

    ReplyDelete