Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Chile Jam

Don't be mistaken, this Chile Jam, is not meant to be spread over your bread or toast for breakfast like the regular jam! But then if you would like to do that, no one would stop you! I did try actually, haha! It is quite nice, considering that this is not spicy at all. According to Nigella, this Chile Jam is usually eaten with cold meats or a cheese plate. 


An equal proportion of Red Chile and Red Bell Pepper is used for a mild spiciness. For a spicier kick, Hot Red Chile may be increased, and use less of the Red Bell Pepper. I used equal amount of both, I would love to have a spicier taste, but then, I have kids in the house, and too spicy is a no-no!


Half a cup of chopped Red Chiles, about 4 large. I only made half the recipe from the original recipe below. Since I do not own a food processor, I chopped the chiles instead. 


Half a cup of chopped Red Bell Pepper, about 1 medium.


Apple cider vinegar, sugar and powdered pectin are boiled until sugar and pectin dissolves. Chopped chiles are then added in, leave to boil for about 15 minutes. Leave to cool slightly, about 40 minutes until the chiles are suspended in the jelly. Ladle into the sterilized jars.


The vibrant red colour of the Chile Jam. I could not get a nice shot of the jars without any reflections on the jars. I tried putting them on the counter, near the window, in various places, in the end, I gave up. 


That is, until much later at night, when I wanted to store the jar in the refrigerator, my goodness, it looks so lovely in the refrigerator, no reflections at all!  Hahaha! Imagine that, the best shot is taken from my refrigerator!  


The vibrant red, beautiful Chile Jam! There are lots of way to use this Chile Jam, as a marinade, as a sauce dip, etc...   I'm really looking forward to use this soon. I have been eyeing this recipe ever since I saw it from my sister's Nigella Christmas cookbook more than a year ago! Now I have a copy of this book, got it real cheap at a recent sale. Don't you just love sales, especially when there's cheap and beautiful cookbooks around? Hehehe!


I'm submitting this to the Christmas Giveaway in The Sweet Spot, any dish or bake, sweet or savory, with green and/or red in it. Please hop over to The Sweet Spot for more details. 


Chile Jam
(adapted from "Nigella Christmas" by Nigella Lawson)
Makes 1-1/2 quarts
1 cup seeded and roughly chopped fresh red serrano chiles (5 oz unprepared)
1 cup cored and seeded roughly chopped red bell pepper (5 oz unprepared)
5 cups sugar
1 x 1.75oz box powdered fruit pectin, such as Ball's original fruit pectin
2-1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
6 x 1 cup resealable jars, with vinegar-proof lid, such as French hermetic seal jars or reuseable pickle jars

  1. Sterilize your jars and leave to cool.
  2. Put the cut-up chiles into a food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped. Add the chunks of bell pepper and pulse again until you have a vibrantly red-flecked processor bowl.
  3. Dissolve the sugar and pectin in the vinegar in a wide, medium-sized pan over a low heat without stirring.
  4. Scrape the chile pepper mixture out of the bowl and add to the pan. Bring the pan to the boil, then leave it at a rollicking boil for 15 minutes.
  5. Take the pan off the heat and allow it to cool. The liquid will become more syrupy, then from syrup to viscous and from viscous to jelly-like as it cools.
  6. After about 40 minutes, or once the red flecks are more or less evenly dispersed in the jelly (as the liquid firms up, the bits of chile and pepper start being suspended in it rather than floating on it), ladle into your jars. If you want to stir gently at this stage, it will do no harm. Then seal tightly.
Make Ahead Tip :
Make the jam up to 1 month before using or giving. Store in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year. Once opened, store in the refrigerator and use within 1 month.


kitchen flavours notes :
*  For a slightly softer set, use less 1 tablespoon of the pectin. I guess the quality of the pectin varies. The one I used has no brand, other than the indication that it is from France. But it does not effect the taste of the Jam, really good.
* For half the recipe, I only got about 2-1/4 jars of 250ml-sized jars.

21 comments:

  1. OhI have this book too but I haven't got around making anything from it. Thanks for the entry :) The colour of the jam is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your jar of chile jam looks just like the bought stuff! Well done! I love chile jam, and I must agree with Nigella..it's perfect with cold meats or even left over frittata

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow marvellous chile jam,never though of making this kind of super delicious jam,thanks a ton for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...absolutely loved the chile jam recipe...there's an award for you in my space...do visit n colleçt it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow nice clicks, i never heard chilli jam,nice to see this recipe,thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad my husband doesn't read these blogs because one look at that spicy chili jam and he would be begging me to make it- like today! LOL! It looks superb and perfect for almost any kind of bread or baked good or even to put in sauces!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm...jam for meats. Sounds and looks delicious and intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very beautiful creation indeed! What a lovely shade of red and yes, the photo from the fridge looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. never heard of chili jam! This must be that 'red' stuff you told me, ha! i'm really interested to see what you're going to make out of this jam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've made Habenero chili jam which is delicious with cheeses and crackers. This one also looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love eating chilli jam! Yours is superb!

    This kind of chilli is not HOT enough for my husband and so I never think of making my own chilli jam. Now that I've seen your post, I think I will go ahead to make my own chilli jam for my personal consumption :p

    ReplyDelete
  12. That jam is definitely caling my name, thanks for the wonderful recipe, can't wait to try :)
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  13. at first i also thought this is jam apply on the toast, hehehe..this sound interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  14. first time hear about chili jam, it sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really beautiful - edible fire in a jar. I have to make it oneday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What nice look amazing!:) I love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yum, your chili jam sounds fabulous and the fridge photo is so cool! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I must make some chillie jam too! Nice clicks ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  19. How unique and beautiful!! I love how the backlighting makes all the little pepper pieces pop! Seems like a very interesting and tasty jam to have on hand

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think this would be delightful on toast with a bit of cheese :)

    ReplyDelete