A friend gave me some mangoes last week, harvested from her tree (how nice to have a mango tree!) and now that the mangoes are ripe, time to enjoy them sweet and juicy, and reserved some for this delicious cupcake! This cupcake has already been on my list to bake ever since two weeks ago, perfect timing too, for me to submit to Aspiring Bakers' theme for November, Enjoy Cupcakes!
The original recipe calls for desiccated coconut, but I use sweetened coconut flakes. Other than this, I followed exactly as what the recipe calls for. I'm being very good this time, as I did not reduce the sugar as I would normally do! I figured 1/2 cup sugar for 12 cupcakes is reasonable enough! (wink!)
Review for this cupcake : It is soft, moist and tender, the mangoes are soft and delicious, and perfect with the flaky chewy coconuts. I like to use sweetened coconut flakes over the dry dessicated coconut as the coconut flakes are much coarser in texture and moist, it gives a lovely chewy coconut taste in each bite. There is no vanilla extract in the recipe, but the lime zest and juice takes care of that really well. The next time I would add about 1/4 cup more chopped mangoes. And the sweetness is just right! Really good. And I like cupcakes like this, good on its own, without the need for any frosting or icing.
Oops, sorry for this poor photo! I made the cupcakes at night and this photo was taken at 10.00pm, did not check the photos after that! Gave some cupcakes to my neighbour, and we finished the rest, one each! No more cupcakes to "model" for me! LOL! But it is really moist and delicious, will definitely bake this again.
And also sharing this with :
Bake With Bizzy at Bizzy Bakes
Cookbook Sunday at Mom's Sunday Cafe
Mango and Coconut Cupcakes
(adapted from "Wild About Cupcakes" by Rachel Lane)
3/4 cup (125gm) all-purpose (plain) flour
1/2 cup (60gm) shredded (desiccated) coconut
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (125gm) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup (100gm) sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
2 large eggs
1/4 cup (60ml) coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 cup (125gm) fresh or canned mango cheeks, coarsely chopped, plus extra, to decorate
Coconut flakes, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 325F (170C/Gas 3).
- Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Combine the flour, shredded coconut, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat the butter, sugar, and lime zest in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until pale and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until just blended after each addition.
- With mixer on low speed, add the mixed dry ingredients, alternating with the coconut milk and lime juice. Stir the mango in by hand.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, filling each one three-quarters full. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and firm to the touch. Transfer the muffin tin to a wire rack. Let cool completely before removing the cupcakes. Top each one with mango slices and coconut flakes.