Thursday, February 2, 2012

Glazed Cinnamon Rolls : ABC Feb 2012

I have always wanted to bake Cinnamon Rolls! Imagine how happy I was when I saw that Glazed Cinnamon Rolls is on Avid Baker's Challenge (ABC) February's bake.  ABC  is currently baking from "The Weekend Baker" by Abigail Johnson Dodge. This is the second recipe that I've tried, and it is another winner!




According to Abby, the dough is really sticky and advises us to resist the urge to add more flour. After I have kneaded for about 10 minutes, it was still very sticky, I read thru the recipe again and realised that I have used slightly more milk than the recipe states. I use one full cup of 250ml instead of 1 cup of 233ml (Abby's measurement) as stated. I then added in about 3 tablespoons of flour, it was still sticky, but I left it at that. And the only change I did was, I used bread flour instead of all-purpose flour as per the original recipe. The dough is shaped into a ball and left to rise for about 1 hour until nearly doubled in size. After rising for an hour, it is no longer sticky but wonderfully soft. It is then rolled out to a rectangle and spread with the filling. The dough is then rolled up like a jelly roll, and sliced at 1" interval to yield 12 pieces.


The rolls are placed in a pan and left to rise, covered for another 40 minutes or so, until they are almost doubled in size.


Bake the rolls for about 35 minutes until puffed and well browned. The smell of the rolls while baking, is deliciously wonderful!


These are delicious! The rolls are really soft and fluffy. Though we have the option of glazing the rolls, I omitted that, as I am not a fan of overly sweet desserts. These rolls are good on its own, without any glaze!


Yummy!  So soft and fluffy! The next time when I make this, I will reduce the sugar for the filling as I find it a little too sweet.


Overall review : Really good! Soft, fluffy and absolutely delicious especially when eaten while still warm. A definite keeper recipe. You may find this delicious recipe from "The Weekend Baker" or get it here.  


Please visit my fellow bakers at ABC to view their post on this yummy rolls.

43 comments:

  1. These cinnamon rolls looks extremely delicious. Judging from your mouth-watering rolls, I think this book is an another great book to invest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out great, Joyce! Thanks for including a picture of the interior. You can really tell they're soft and fluffy. I considered subbing bread flour for the All-Purpose but since I subbed whole wheat flour for some of the AP flour, I decided not to make TOO many changes at once, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Estupenda masa y los rollos una delicia,abrazos,hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow they do look so soft and fluffy! Looks like everyone omitted the glaze...I think it's perfect as it is! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ya.....just look to the image,i can imagine how delicious it was

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cinnamon rolls and this looks so perfect. Can't wait to try the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! These look like a fun and tasty way to spend Saturday morning! And just in time for Super Bowl Sunday craziness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a fun one!! Love your pink mat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i can imagine your house if full of these aromatic buttery cinnamon flavour when you were baking this! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy CNY ! can i have a piece now for my afternoon coffee break, sound so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these! They look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes I love their fluffy interior too! Wonderful rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks delicious it were, has also made ​​them, my kids loved it.
    I feel like taking one for my breakfast.
    Kisses dear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cinnamon rolls are our favourite! I make them every year Christmas morning (and then a few more times throughout the year). Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love cinnamon so I bet I would love these rolls!Kisses,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I love cinnamon rolls too, make the kitchen smell so wonderful! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mouthwatering here, wat a terrific and super tempting cinnamon rolls..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aren't they nice?
    I don't know what kind of flours you get in Malaysia, Joyce, but your bread flour might have the same amount of protein as American all-purpose flour. AP-flours in the US have a much higher protein (gluten) content than, for example, European ones.
    I have fond memories of Malaysia - I took a road trip in 1976, with friends, it is a very beautiful country.
    Happy baking,
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  19. they turned out extremely tempting and great

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  20. These really look wonderful. There are few fragrances more tempting than cinnamon rolls baking in the oven. My family would really enjoy these. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. Joy, these look delicious! Cinnamon rolls are one of my favorites, they are always yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. They do look fluffy and delicious! I'd eat them without the glaze too :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. They were sooo very good! Like you, my dough also had a big case of stickiness.. and I had to add a bit more flour for it to come to the texture that the book noted. I was nervous that they were going to be super heavy with the additional flour, but I had nothing to worry about.. they were light and fluffy...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful!! No more visiting St. Cinnamon or Cinnabon for these, right? :)

    Happy Chinese New Year, by the way. Hope you and your family had a good celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just to drop you a note that I have something for you at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your cinnamon rolls are picture perfect soft fluffy and yuuumy!
    Happy Chinese New year to you and all your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  27. They sure turned out beautiful; I had to pin this one. making bread is sometimes very tricky .
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  28. No wonder I've been smelling this wonder aroma of cinnamon all day long yesterday! so, it was you!! haahaa Wah. nampak sedap. Can we have some??

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes Joyce,

    I find cinnamon rolls too sweet for my palate hence had refused to make them... yet!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very tempting cinnamon rolls,looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  31. We are fans of cinnamon rolls. Those look soft and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely fluffy! No need for glaze they look just great as is.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I haven't had my breakfast yet, and these cinnamon rolls are really making me hungry! They look so soft and delicious- I can almost smell them baking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. The rolls look so soft and very tempting, very perfectly done..

    ReplyDelete
  35. one of my fave! yours looks so soft and yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hello,

    "The next time when I make this, I will reduce the sugar for the filling as I find it a little too sweet."

    Can you recommend me how much brown and white sugars to use for the filling as to your liking (ie. not too sweet)? TQ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please reply :-)

      Delete
    2. Hi Anonymous,
      I apologize for the delay!
      The original amount of sugar for the filling are as follows : 1/2 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar and 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Since I do not like very sweet treats, I would reduce half the amount for each, again that is for individual preference.
      This is a really lovely rolls, one that you would definitely enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea.
      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
    3. It's OK, TQ for the explaination!

      Do we use soft or coarse brown sugar? And the normal white sugar or castor?

      Delete
    4. Hi Anonymous,
      I use soft brown sugar and caster sugar.
      Are you from Malaysia?
      Enjoy the bread!

      Delete
    5. I'm from Singapore and my name is Jen.

      TQ again for the wish!

      Delete