Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Rustic Red Sauced Eggs and Crispy Potatoes : IHCC

"What's In Your Lunchbox???" That's the theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) where we are cooking from Rick Bayless's recipes until end of September. So, what's for lunch??? A simple recipe from Rick Bayless that I knew my kids would enjoy for their lunch. Two of my kids favourites, eggs and potatoes!! Already a winner for sure with just these two ingredients!



This is my lunch, Rustic Red Sauced Eggs with Crispy Potatoes. Well the potatoes are not crispy, they are steamed and then fried till brown all over before the beaten eggs are poured over and gently fried scrambled-like style to create large curds. They are then served topped with Roasted Tomato Salsa, from my previous post. 



A delicious, easy and simple lunch. The salsa is a little spicy and is perfect with the eggs and potatoes, great with some cucumber and juicy cherry tomatoes.



My kids' lunchbox. The salsa is a little spicy for them, so they had some Honey Barbecue Baked Beans, which I made that same morning, to go with the eggs and potatoes. Some toasted garlic bread, slices of fresh cucumber and cherry tomatoes, completes their lunch box. They love the eggs and potatoes and already requested me to make this again!




Rick Bayless @IHCC button rounded


Have not decided what to have for lunch yet? Please do drop by I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) to see "What's In Your Lunchbox?", you might find what you are looking for!


Rustic Red Sauced Eggs and Crispy Potatoes
(source : Fronterafiesta, Rick Bayless)
Serves 4
2 cups diced red potatoes (about 1/2-inch dice)
1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
6 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 cup Frontera Roasted Tomato Salsa or Frontera Jalapeno Salsa (I use my homemade Roasted Tomato Salsa)
2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

  1. Steam the potatoes in a steamer set over boiling water in a covered medium-size saucepan until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove potates from the steamer.
  2. Heat the oil in a large (10 to 12-inch), well-seasoned or nonstick skillet over medium. Add the potatoes and fry until golden on all sides, about 5 minutes.
  3. Beat the eggs with the salt and 1/4 cup of water in a medium bowl. Add the eggs to the skillet, cook, stirring gently to create large curds, until soft set, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately topped with generous spoonfuls of the salsa and a sprinkling of cilantro.





20 comments:

  1. i bet my kids will love this egg potato dish, Joyce
    looks delicious
    thks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce, this is great for a nice simple and satisfying lunch. Your kid's lunch box is giving me some ideas of what to make at home to tapau to office. I'm really getting bored with eating chap fan :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids would love this too, because their fav is also eggs and potatoes :) Looks many kids like the same type of food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very tempting,simple and definitely filling..

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one simple dimple lunch! How I wish to have such dish everyday...but can't!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love those eggs-- with that sauce? Wow, i bet it is just delicious. Wish i could have this everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, those eggs and potatoes. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is a lunchbox i too would love to have!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very appetising .... can i request for one to be couriered to Singapore?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky kids ! lol Wish I could have a taste of this deliciousness ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. can i hv your kids lunch box for my supper box now? i can take very hot, so you dont have to leave out the salsa for me !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! I want one too:D with the salsa please...that sure looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First of all, I have to say that I love that little lunchbox with all the different compartments. I've really been into making lunches for my daughter this year. She's 11 so she likes helping out too. I love the idea of having breakfast for lunch. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Steamed potatoes??? How is it I've never tried to do that before. I can't wait to try it. Sounds very interesting. Of course, your lunch sounds most appetizing too, Joyce. I adore potatoes and eggs. I can't even remember the last time I've made them. Thanks for the reminder and the recipe. The salsa is indeed a must!!!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  15. You pack a good lunch! When I was growing up, my mom made eggs w/ potatoes for Lent. Didn't use salsa, but I'd like to give that a try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! This is one of my husband's very favourite kinds of meals.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simply wonderful! This reminds me of a typical Sunday Brunch dish around here. Looks wonderful and REAL for the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A fun dish for the lunch box--it looks delicious! ;-)

    ReplyDelete