Saturday, September 8, 2012

Honey Barbecue Baked Beans : IHCC

It's Esta Rojo! at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) for this week. It's all about red and shades of red, where we are cooking from Rick Bayless's recipes until end of September.

I have been cooking for the past five months plus now, from Rick Bayless's recipes and only realized that Rick Bayless is an American and not a Mexican! I was really, really surprised, as I have always thought of him as a Mexican guy! I was busy sourcing for his delicious recipes, when it suddenly hit me, that I know next to nothing at all about him, and I only watched two or three of his shows. So I googled for more info and was really surprised to find out that he was born in Oklahoma and his family has no roots at all in Mexico. You may read more about him from Wikipedia.


Since this week's theme is "red", I decided to make Chipotle Honey Barbecued Baked Beans which I  have bookmarked for months. I bought a can of Pinto beans for this recipe months ago. The recipe calls for smoked bacon, but since I do not have that, I use canned luncheon meat, I know it is not the same, but it tastes just as delicious when baked together with the beans. Besides, luncheon meat is great with canned  baked beans in tomato sauce. This recipe also calls for Chipotle Hot Sauce, but I just use what I had, a small bottle of my homemade Rick Bayless Hot Sauce, which I made months ago, and just great for this recipe.



The luncheon meat, onions and red bell pepper are stir-fried, then the rest of the ingredients are added in. I made half a recipe, using only one can of pinto beans and I find that I needed to use the full amount of honey, just adjust to your taste accordingly. And since I do not have a dutch oven, I used a baking dish to bake the beans in the oven. It took about  1-1/4 hours for the sauce to thicken.



And the result is a delicious bowl of baked beans!



Love the vibrant deep rich colour! All the flavours came through really yummy. It is mildly spicy, my son commented on that, but he finished a small bowl, saying that it was good. I served this with another of Rick Bayless's yummies, but that's for another week!


Yum!


Rick Bayless @IHCC button rounded


I'll be visiting my friends at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) to see other delicious "Red" yummies from Rick Bayless's wonderful recipes, come join me and see what the others have came up with, who knows, you might just be inspired to try on some Mexican cooking!

I'm sharing this with :



 Chipotle Honey Barbecue Baked Beans
(source from : Fronterafiesta, Rick Bayless)
4 thick slices smoked bacon, diced ( I use luncheon meat)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
3 tablespoons Frontera Chipotle Hot Sauce (I use my homemade RB Hot Sauce)
3 tablespoons honey
1-1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon salt
3 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, drained and rinsed

  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cook bacon, red pepper and onion in small Dutch oven or ovenproof saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until onion is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
  2. Stir in 2 cups water, tomato paste, hot sauce, honey, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Mix well. Stir in the beans. Bake, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until beans are nicely glazed and pan juices thickened, about 1 hour. Serve hot.
Notes : These beans are best when made a day or two in advance and then reheated before serving. Reheat in a 350 degrees oven about 45 minutes.




25 comments:

  1. wah sedap ni. makan with baguette, mmmm..mmmm.mmm..sampe sapu the roti inside the pot sekali..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce , this is much more better and tastier than the canned version ! The luncheon meat is a great idea , more flavorful ! :D I can imagine eating this with scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast or with steamed rice ! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love baked beans and this one will be extra special. I would love to have this with grilled ribs. Will KIV this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellerinize sağlık çok leziz ve güzel görünüyor.

    Saygılar..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious and mouthwatering baked beans with bar b que preparation. Excellent preparation.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dish is perfect for tailgating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those beans look thick and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorite canned food, I love baked beans right out of the can:D You just made it even more delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are some tasty looking beans, Joyce. I really need to do some investigating into Rick Bayless's early life. He is one of the few "Food TV" people that I actually like. (Tyler Florence is another:)

    I love the adjustments you made to make the recipe your own. Using lunch meat was a GREAT idea. I think I'll take some of these beans with me and head on over to wiki to find out more about Rick Bayless.

    Thanks for sharing, Joyce...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, these beans will just be heavenly with the Chipotle, we are going to love this recipe! Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my... These look wonderful. I think I'll make them when I cook the rack of ribs I've got stashed in the freezer!! Yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love baked beans and this spicy version sounds delicious! Rick Bayless is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a high fiber dish, hahaha! Looks like you are a big fan of Rick Bayless though now I still don't have a clue how he looks like or do I? Can't really remember! My mum loves to coat the luncheon meat with egg then panfry them. I love eating them when I was young but now only eat once a while when my mother-in-law cooked for us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. these beans sound fabulous - love the flavorings
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely! So homey and comforting. My husband would flip for these.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joyce, my mouth is watering as I look at your baked beans photos. I love baked beans, and always eat the canned ones, but I know the home made ones are even better... now I feel so tempted to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The meal is extraordinary, I love beans of all shapes,
    This sauce is a delight!
    Kisses;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These really sound delicious and you've actually made beans look attractive in your photos. Your beans are going on the menu for our next barbecue. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yum, this sounds really delicious, what a hearty dish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello my name Francesca and I'm Italian. I like your blog. if you want to also visit my page. Thank you. Francesca.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous! Gotta love this red dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's fun that you were able to use your homemade hot sauce with these beans...which look incredible, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  23. your dish makes my mouth water! wished that i could hv some with my bread now! you really making a lot of 'homemades', tabik!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a delicious looking dish. My mouth is watering. This is being featured at the Recipe Box. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Joyce,
    Homemade bakes bean!! This is so good to eat with with sunny side egg or a poach egg. Love that you add luncheon meat in it too it is really delish!
    mui

    ReplyDelete