Thursday, May 21, 2015

My Mother-In-Law's Madeira Cake (Nigella Lawson) : Bake-Along #79

Bake-Along #79, My Mother-In-Law's Madeira Cake, by Nigella Lawson, from her book "How To Be A Domestic Goddess", selected by Lena to bake together with Zoe and myself, and anyone who wishes to join in our bake-along.

Despite it's name, there's no madeira in the cake at all, though I am wondering why it is called as such. That led me to google out of curiosity, and read from Wikipedia, that it is called after Madeira wine, a Portuguese wine, which this cake is usually served with, and was very popular in England during the nineteenth century.






I baked the cakes in two mini cake pans. There's no madeira in the recipe, but I've added 2 tablespoons of rum, well, just because!  :)  I have omitted the sprinkling of sugar over the top.





A nice cake to have with a cup of tea or coffee, though I love to try having it with a glass of Madeira! The crumbs are soft and lemony with the light fragrance of the rum which I've added.



My Mother-In-Law's Madeira Cake
(source from "How To Be A Domestic Goddess", Nigella Lawson or here)
1 cup softened unsalted butter
3/4 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
3 large eggs
1-1/3 cup self-raising cake flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons rum (my addition)

9x5-inch loaf pan, buttered and lined with parchment or wax paper

Preheat the oven to 350F.
Cream the butter and 3/4 cup sugar, and add the lemon zest. Add the eggs one at a time with a tablespoon of the flour for each. Then gently mix in the rest of the flour and, finally, the lemon juice (and rum). Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle with sugar (about 2 tablespoons should do it) as it goes onto the oven, and bake for 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack, and let cool in the pan before turning out.

Makes 8-10 slices.


********************************

Do stop by Lena of Frozen Wings and Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids, and all our friends who has baked along with us in the linky below :

For our next Bake-Along, we will be baking "Theme : Croissant". If you are up to the challenge at trying your hands in making some croissants, now is the time!  Please do join us, link your post to our linky which will open from 4th till 13th June. Everyone is welcome to join us! Only current post please.


Photobucket

A friendly reminder when linking to our blog hop :
1. Please mention Bake-Along event in your own post linking direct to any of the hosts' post (JoyceLena or Zoe)
2. Please link only new and current post, PLEASE FOLLOW THE BAKE OR THEME provided by us. Unrelated post will be deleted.
3. Feel free to display our Bake-Along badge in your post.



20 comments:

  1. I made this Madeira cake before.. it indeed is very yummy! Love the beautiful crack in the centre of your cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce, I love your touch of rum in the madeira. I believe that would make it taste even better. Psst, your madeira looks like bigger madeleine humps. So so pretty I would say :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gotta stock up butter and lemon then. Have none in my house. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the sexy cracks on your cake >< .. texture of this cake looks really good. hv to try this someday (⌒-⌒; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi joyce, hope u hv enjoyed eating the cake. Long ago, i actually thot a lady by the name of madeira created this cake, then named after her . Madeira, isnt that a sweet name for a lady? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce,

    I hate to disappoint you but I must tell you that the the sugary topping can heighten the enjoyment of this cake!!! Sorry! Maybe it is just me but I really really like the sugary crust :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce, yours open up really nicely, looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce! This Madeira Cake seem quite a straightforward cake to bake. Pretty much like butter cake with added fragrance of lemon. And of course your extra ingredient sure makes it a whole lot better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So smooth and light! Well done, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems that everyone is Googling the history of this cake, because of its unique name, love your addition of rum inside, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw Jasline's photos earlier today :) Yours looks just as moist and delicious! This is a recipe I need to try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This cake looks great with fine texture. The name of the cake make me feel curious, after reading it then realize is a great butter cake. Have a great weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look delicious Joyce!!! I love Nigella recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joyce,
    I like that beautiful crack of your mini loaves. Oh you've added rum. I've Grand Marnier. .. think I will add some if I bake this Madeira Cake.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very soft & spongy cake...............looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joyce,
    I see you have omitted the sprinkle of sugar. I was going to do that too but I was curious what is the outcome of it so I sprinkle 1 tablespoon only. Tell you the truth I like the sugary crispy crust :p
    I love your addition of rum, must be so fragrant.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for this wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Joyce! Got to know your blog thru Bake Along. Great recipes you have here. I hv added you to my bloglist for my easy re-visiting. :) Btw, I am joining Bake Along challenge for this time, Here's my post.

    ReplyDelete