Monday, July 27, 2015

Vanilla-Mango Panna Cotta : TWD

Over at Tuesdays With Dorie (TWD), our assignment for this week is Vanilla-Mango Panna Cotta, a refreshing and cooling dessert, and in our hot humid weather, this dessert is most welcome anytime of the day! We are baking from Dorie's latest cookbook, "Baking Chez Moi". Though for this week, there's no need to turn on the oven! 



An easy dessert to make, the bottom is a layer of delightful mango puree, where fresh mangoes are pureed in the food processor, with some honey (I've used about 1 tablespoon honey, or may use sugar if preferred) to taste, with some lime juice. Just like Dorie, I like mine a little tart, so I've used the juice of two limes. Divide the puree among glasses or bowls, and keep them in the freezer for about 30 minutes, just so until they are firm, as you would want the puree to stay in place when the hot panna cotta mixture is poured over.

The panna cotta layer is made by mixing cream, sugar, milk and the seeds of a vanilla bean along with the bean, in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let steep for 20 minutes, while you prepare the gelatin by liquefy it in the microwave with some water. Return the mixture to a boil remove the bean, and pour over the gelatin, stir until the gelatin has completely dissolve. Let mixture cool slightly, about 20 minutes, then divide the mixture between the glasses with the mango puree. Refrigerate at least two hours until chilled before serving.


I've used Calamansi Limes from the garden pot. They were very juicy!



I chilled the panna cotta for about 6 hours. I like how the panna cotta layer is scattered with the vanilla seeds. It has set rather nicely, and everyone is just so impatient to dig in!


This is very yummy. The slightly tart mango puree with the creamy smooth panna cotta are so good together. A perfect cold dessert to enjoy with the family. I would love to try this with our other local fruits; like pineapple, dragon fruits, melons! Yums!


I'm linking this post with Tuesdays With Dorie (TWD).


and

Cook-Your-Books



20 comments:

  1. I love these mango panacotta!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your panna cotta looks very pretty. I think red dragon fruit would be very dramatic with the white panna cotta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo... Pineapple. Now that's an idea. See the boyfriend is allergic to Mangos (luckly he was away this weekend so I could try this), but Pineapple would be a really fun substitution since he's a huge fan of the show Psych. Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great flavours, Joyce. They look scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cool, creamy little treat, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Color me jealous that you have potted limes! I do so love citrus...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce,

    This combination of panna cotta looks yummy! In fact, extra extra yummy with the warm weather in Malaysia :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Homegrown limes, wow! That's pretty impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so jealous that you can get limes from your yard! I can't wait to try it with some other fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joyce, the texture of your panna cotta looks so creamy, just perfect! I'd love to try this with pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your panna cotta looks perfect,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh I want to dig in too... *bang! hit the computer screen* :(
    How I wish I can grow such beautiful calamansi limes at home too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How beautiful and delicious! I love your little limes that you grew!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy! Wish I could have it after dinner tonite :P...

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh yumm!!!. envy you your little garden is thriving well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yup- the vanilla beans added great contrast plus the flavor. And I just love your limes, how special :) Lovely results ~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your limes are so cute! I really enjoyed this one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Joyce, I have nominated your blog for the 2015 Versatile Blogger Award. Please look up my post on this for further details.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Joyce, this vanilla mango panna cotta looks so good! I will have two servings, thank you! hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Joyce, How you doin'? I sure love this vanilla mango drink.....looks refreshing. And you take great pics too...Have fun and keep a song in your heart.
    Best regards,
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete