Thursday, November 26, 2015

Cucumber, Onion and Mint Salad

"November Potluck", the theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). We get to cook from any of IHCC's past or present featured chefs, and for this week, I've made Jacques Pepin's simple and yummy salad, Cucumber, Onion and Mint Salad.




I've sliced the onions into rings (instead of diced), as I like them this way in salads. The cucumbers are from my potted garden, gorgeous fresh cucumbers! I did not peel them since these are homegrown and they have thin skins, so they really do not need any peeling. These are mini cucumbers,and there's barely any seeds in them, so I did not bother to scrape out the seeds. Also I have skipped the step where the cucumbers and onions are sprinkled with salt and left for 30 minutes to extract out the water so that they will be crunchy. My cucumbers are really crisps so I've omitted this step. The salad is made more refreshing and fresh by using mint leaves, also from my garden pot. I did not use Tabasco sauce, but have replaced with Dijon mustard instead. This salad can be prepared in advance and keep in the refrigerator until serving time. It is delicious served cold. 


Mini cucumbers. Fresh, juicy and crisp. Perfect for salads. Looking forward to more cucumber harvests this week! Big grin!!!


Mint from the garden pot.


Cucumber, Onion and Mint Salad
(adapted from : Heart&Soul, Jacques Pepin)
1 large English (seedless) cucumber (about 1 pound)
1 cup diced (1⁄2-inch) mild onion
1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons shredded fresh mint leaves
1⁄2 cup sour cream

1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (I use Dijon mustard)

Instructions:
Peel the cucumber and cut it lengthwise in half. Using the tip of a teaspoon, scrape out the seeds. Cut the flesh into 1⁄2-inch dice. (You should have about 2 1⁄2 cups.)
Combine the cucumber and diced onion in a bowl, sprinkle with the salt, and mix well. Let cure for 30 minutes. (I skipped this step).
Drain the cucumber mixture in a colander and pat dry with paper towels. Combine with the rest of the ingredients and serve.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week
"November Potluck"


14 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful looking salad! Your fresh cucumbers must be so good in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joyce , cucumbers , onion and mint salad , what a wonderful addition to left over turkey . A winner :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these freshly picked cucumber & mint from your garden ! Lovely tasty salad !

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, I envy you joyce, getting all those lovely veges from the garden. So far I have herbs , :) and my pandan plant has died :( . Anyway lovely and refreshing salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce, that's such a creamy and refreshing salad! Goes so well with roasted or fried chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely that you are able to grow your own food. Your cucumbers sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fresh homegrown cucumber and mint make for instantly best tasting food. Envious of the bounty in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cooling cucumber raita is always nice! But I don't add raw onions to mine. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joyce, I love your harvest in the garden!! So fresh and yummy. This salad is indeed refreshing especially for a hot day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a yummy sounding salad. Love that you were able to use your own cukes and mint :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous mint and cucumbers--home-grown is always so good! I love refreshing salads like this. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so nice that you have so many "homegrown ingredients" Joyce! It makes cooking that much more fun! This is a refreshing little salad, the perfect accompaniment to a rich meat dish or even satisfying enough to eat on it's own. I love the combination of colors too. So pretty with the green and purple.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HOw refreshing this salad looks. Mint and cucumbers! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete