Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Pear-Blueberry Roll-Up Tart

This week at Tuesdays With Dorie (TWD), the selected recipe is Pear-Cranberry Roll-Up Tart. I do not have any fresh or frozen cranberry, but I do have a pack of frozen blueberries, so I have used that instead. For the filling, I've used Parkham Pears which are ripe and sweet. For the jam, I've used raspberry jam and replaced the ground ginger with ground allspice as I could not find my little jar of ground ginger. I thought I had one around!


 Roll-Up Tart about to go into the oven.

Dorie's galette dough is quite easy to handle for a round tart, or even small little tarts, but I had a little trouble rolling the dough up into a roll-up tart. With the pear and blueberry filling inside, it was not an easy smooth roll! There's one or two tears, which was easily patched up by pinching the dough together to seal. In the end I managed it somehow, though I am unable to tuck the ends of both sides under the dough, as it was getting sticky and soft by then. So I just pinched them together to seal. Brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle with demarara sugar. Make a few slits on top and bake as instructed in the recipe.



One thing I know for sure is that, Dorie's galette dough makes a flaky, tender, crisp and buttery dough crust. The juices from the filling was bubbling from the sides of the tart instead of from the slits at the top as Dorie indicated while it was baking. When it was done baking and cool to just warm, I sliced the tart and some of the slices break into pieces.



The pear pieces are tinged from the colour of the blueberries. Overall, a very nice tart, but I could not help comparing this to the Apple Pielettes which we baked last month. They are quite similar, one with apple and this with pear, and they both used different jams and spices. I prefer the Apple Pielettes. That being  said, we did enjoy slices of these tart with warm tea. 


I'm linking this post with Tuesdays With Dorie (TWD)

14 comments:

  1. Joyce, your roll up tart is making me very hungry! I must try making these pastries one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blueberry and pear...I have never tried this combo in a pastry. It sounds and looks wonderful, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fantastic and I think any fruit works well in this recipe. I can't wait to try this with apples and raisins,
    I'm sure it would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce ! I love this look absolutely delicious!!!!
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tart looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you made several substitutions in your version of this roll-up tart. I'm also on team apple pielette.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. Since I chose to use apples and raisins it is just the same with a different form. I am almost apple dessert-ed out! (Not quite... doing one more for Thanksgiving...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The combination of pears, blueberries and allspice sounds lovely Joyce. I, too, had some trouble shaping the roll and thought a free-form galette would be easier next time

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like your comparison between the pielettes and the roll-up tarts. Both made with autumn fruits fillings and galette dough. I like them both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joyce, your tart looks so crispy and sweet. I am actually quite hungry right now and coming here to look at your tart has made it worse hah..hah...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome combo! Looks really good , how I wish I can eat some for tea time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blueberries sounds like a yummy substitution. I liked that this was a lot less work than the Apple Pielettes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No cranberries here either - I used raspberries. Your tart looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the idea of allspice! I thought the ginger was a bit strong, so allspice would have been a perfect addition. And blueberries too!

    ReplyDelete