Friday, May 27, 2016

Chocolate Chunk Cookies

This week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), the theme is "May Potluck". Sometimes potluck week can be the most challenging, at least for me.  Why, you may be wondering! Because fickle-minded me can't decide which IHCC's featured chefs' recipes that I want to make, I have so many on my list!

For this week's Potluck theme, my kids sort of took care of that for me, no need to change my mind many times. They requested for Ellie Krieger's, Chocolate Chunk Cookies, which I have made before when Ellie Krieger was the featured chef at IHCC a couple of months ago. I did not post about it, as I did not have a chance to take any photos, the cookies were all gone by the next day. 



Cookies with chocolate chunks on the left and with coffee choc chips on the right.

So these cookies are back by popular demand! Really super easy to put together. And they are a little healthier than most cookies. It has whole-wheat flour, with a small amount of butter (only 3 tablespoons!), and a little canola oil (2 tablespoons). You do not even need the stand mixer to mix the dough. I made two batches. The first batch, I've used dark chocolate chopped to chunks. And the second batch I've made with coffee chips. The only changes I've made, was to reduce both the sugars to half, even healthier, we do not need all that extra sugar! I baked them for 3-4 minutes longer than the recipe states, as we love  crispier cookies. 



These cookies are lightly crisp on the outside and soft and chewy in the centre. 
As Ellie says "Eaten them while they are still warm for their full gooey, melted impact".  They make the perfect snack with a glass of cold milk. I like having the one with coffee chips with a mug of hot coffee. 


Chocolate Chunk Cookies
(adapted from "Comfort Food Fix", Ellie Krieger)
Makes about 20 cookies
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar (loosely packed 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup granulated sugar (1/8 cup)
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or whole-wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 ounces dark chocolate (60 to 70% cocoa solids), chopped into chunks

Preheat the oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. 
In a large bowl, mash together the butter and sugars with a fork until well combined. Add the oil and egg and beat until creamy. Stir in the vanilla.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Gently fold in the chocolate.
Scoop rounded tablespoons of the dough onto the prepared cookie sheets, leaving at least 1-1/2 inches between cookies to allow for spreading. Bake until the cookies are just set, about 12 minutes. Transfer the cookies on parchment to a rack and allow to cool. The cookies will crisp as they cool. Store at room temperature in an airtight container, where they will keep for up to 4 days.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs, theme for this week,
May Potluck





13 comments:

  1. look delicious Joyce, many times I dont make cookies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! But good and tasty these cookies , really delicious ! a great way to pamper yourself a bit ' ! Bacione Mirta

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have saved the recipe, as one can never have too many chocolate chip cookies. I like that you cut down on the sugar and it uses whole wheat flour, so they're totally healthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, these would be gobbled up at our place, I love that you reduced the sugar amount. What a perfect treat to go with my afternoon coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know they're good when they disappear before their photo op! I like your variation with the coffee chips. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seldom make cookies. But this healthier, reduced sugar version and the gooey and melty impact convinced me that these are the cookies I want to make.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since our sons left home for university I don't make cookies very often. I am sure I'd like these

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you, Joyce! I find it SO hard to chose which chef to cook with and which recipe to make. It's almost overwhelming. Glad your kids made it easy on you and decided for you. These cookies look perfect in every way. You would never guess they were a bit healthier. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like whole wheat flour in my cookies, I am going to have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmm... you have me craving warm chocolate chip cookies Joyce! These look delicious and I love that you cut the sugar down even more. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Yeah, these are good. And easy. And lower in sugar. Perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow amazing post about Chocolate Chunk Cookies. I would like to share Top 5 Cookies of All The Time

    ReplyDelete