Friday, September 30, 2016

Sardine Spread

Cook The Book Fridays is cooking through David Lebovitz's cookbook, My Paris Kitchen, and the selection for this week is Sardine Spread. We love sardine as a filling for sandwiches and I was really looking forward to make this. 



I use two cans of sardine packed in extra virgin olive oil.  Drain the sardines and discard the oil.



Remove the bones from each piece of sardine. Mix the cream cheese and butter in a bowl and add the sardine, mashing them to combine. Cream cheese is an interesting ingredient here. Add some chopped scallions, capers, lime juice, salt, black pepper, cayenne powder to taste. Mix everything together. That's it! This has got to be the most simplest recipe from this book, so far! Simple and delicious!



We had the Sardine Spread with my homemade Olive Oil Focaccia, made into a sandwich, with lettuce leaves and slices of cheese, for dinner. The family loved it. 



I have always used canned tuna for making similar sandwich spread like this, but instead of using cream cheese and butter, I have always used mayo. Now, this Sardine Spread, has a place along with my favourite tuna spread. I will definitely be making this again. 


Do stop by CtBF to view everyone's take on this delicious Sardine Spread. If you have the book or thought of getting one, please do, and join us! Full details here.


10 comments:

  1. Lovely sandwich with homemade bread! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely really easy and versatile - glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never equate a sardine spread sandwich with a tuna spread sandwich. Just hadn't ever thought about it that way. I made this and didn't mind the taste at all. In a sandwich with homemade focaccia it sounds quite tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice idea with the sadnwich! YUMMMMM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a very easy recipe, one to be repeated. I love the look of your homemade Focaccia, and with that topping, perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great sandwich and I agree that this was such an easy recipe to put together! I didn't even think of making it into a sandwich, since I usually just serve it with crackers. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rillettes look wonderful as a filling for your homemade bread! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sardine spread and olive oil focaccia make perfect sandwich together. That's an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was so simple and delicious! I love the idea of using it in a sandwich instead of just an appetizer. One more reason to make this again sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How do you ever remove bones from sardines? It must be so labor intense. The rest of the spread looks easy. Love the idea of a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete