Thursday, January 12, 2017

Corn & Chive Fritters

I made these fritters for our afternoon tea snack during the weekend. This recipe is taken from the book by Parragon Publication, A Year Full of Recipes, one of the latest addition to my bookshelf. There are 365 recipes to try! Out of that many, this is the first one I pick.



I've used frozen corn kernels, thawed before using, and Chinese chives from my garden pot. The batter is simple and easy to put together. Once the batter is done, I test-fried one fritter and thought it needed some flavour. I then added some onion powder, and what a difference it made! 


These fritters are quite delicious. The onion powder adds a delicious flavour.  We dipped these fritters with some chilli sauce. They are also good without any dipping sauce, as they are quite tasty. These Corn & Chive Fritters makes a delightful snack to enjoy with the family.


Corn & Chive Fritters
(from A Year Full Of Recipes by Love Food)
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
2 eggs, separated
2 tablespoons melted butter
1-1/2 cups canned or frozen corn kernels
2 tablespoons chopped chives, plus extra for sprinkling
oil for frying
salt and pepper
1 tsp onion powder (my addition)

  1. Sift together the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the milk, egg yolks, and butter and beat to form a smooth batter. Stir in the corn kernels and chives.
  2. Put the egg whites into a separate grease-free bowl and beat until they hold soft peaks. Fold lightly and evenly into the batter.
  3. Pour a shallow depth of oil into a large skillet and heat until hot. Drop large spoonfuls of batter into the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes, turning once, until golden brown. Cook in batches, draining the fritters on paper towels and keeping them warm, until you have made about 16 fritters.
  4. Serve hot, sprinkled with chives.


I'm linking this post with Cookbook Countdown #13 hosted by 


8 comments:

  1. They look delicious and easy to prepare too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks yumm .... my boys love corn, this is sure to be a winner with them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm...those are really appealing -- finger-lickin' good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting book, cannot remember if I seen it before though. Did you make your own onion powder? Chives, easy to grow or not? seeds or trimmings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought this book at the recent BBW sale, on my third visit! I use McCormick onion powder, dont know how to make my own! I grow the Chives fromm seeds. They are quite easy to grow, and almost maintenance free!

      Delete
  5. Yes, please. These would be a great side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 365 recipes! Wow...a whole year of new and exciting recipes to try. This one looks delicious and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Refreshing recipe blog. ❤️ It!

    ReplyDelete