Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Granola Cake

The selected recipe from Baking Chez Moi at Tuesdays With Dorie (TWD) is Granola Cake. According to Dorie, homemade granola or store-bought is fine, just make sure that do not use granola with lot of spices or with hard pieces of dried fruit. I made my own using Dorie's Crunchy Granola recipe. The granola is a winner! 



I have reduced the sugar, using 60gm for the brown sugar, and only 20gm for the granulated sugar, taking into account, of the sweetened coconut, and the sweet chocolate chips.

The batter is very thick and the cake does not rise that much during baking as the leavening powder used is just minimal. Bake until the top is brown and sugar-crackly. 



The cooled cake was cut into 16 squares, and they look very much like a blondie, or, bar and slices kind of bakes, rather than a cake. 



These are quite yummy. Moist, soft and a little crumbly with the distinctive taste of the granola, bits of the chocolate chips in every bite. I'm glad I reduced the sugar as these are quite sweet. The next time I would use less choc chips and add some moist plump raisins or dried cranberries, to cut back on some of the sweetness.

Stop by TWD to see what the other bakers thought of this bake.


10 comments:

  1. I like the idea of adding dried fruit to these. Your granola cake looks great, and it's good to hear that Dorie's granola was a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's granola in it, so I can have the cake for the breakfast, right? It looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this one and will probably be making this for my staff room sometime really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen a few comments on the sweetness. Good to know! Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like this one was a winner. I am looking forward to making this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be making these next. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These totally reminded me of a bar too. The granola I used had a bit of a savory side too it so I didn't have to worry about the sweetness as much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds nice and moist and delicious, Joyce! And like that it was good with less sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it was smart for you to reduce the sugar. I used unsweetened muesli and coconut, along with 80% chocolate, or I would have done the same. I'm glad to hear that everyone's batter was more like a blondie mixture than a cake batter. That's exactly how mine was.

    That's so cool that you made Dorie's granola for this. I've yet to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’ve never heard of a granola cake, but wow, that sounds/looks tasty!

    PCX Dallas IT Support

    ReplyDelete