Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Pak Choy with Fresh Shiitake

A simple stir-fry greens with fresh shiitake mushrooms. Great as part of a meal with rice, or noodles. According to the author, dried shiitake mushrooms can be used instead. The dried shiitake have to be soaked first and precooked before using them in the recipe. I will try that the next time.



This dish is usually served in Chinese restaurants, though it is a richer version with glossy sauce made with some rich stock, thickened with some corn starch solution. Instead of pak choy, brocolli can be used instead. 


One of my favourite dishes when eating at Chinese wedding banquet.


The recipe can be found here.

kitchen flavours notes :
I did not blanch the pak choy, but microwave for 2 minutes. And did not blanch nor precooked the fresh shiitake, but used them directly in the recipe. Stir fry the mushrooms with the ginger and garlic for two minutes, then add the pak choy.


I'm linking this post with Cookbook Countdown #18 hosted by 



6 comments:

  1. I prefer your lighter version...the sauce is not really necessary when you have the best quality ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O, this pak choy is so nice. We don't have it in our country. I ate it in some Chinese restaurants abroad. Recently I find fresh baby shiitake. I made stir fry with them. It was delicious. This is such a nice meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A yummy vegetable dish that's full of nutrients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummm, looks delicious joyce. sorry havent visited for a while, will catch up soon . Love this simple dish, can I use corn flour in place of the potato flour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks good, Joyce! A great side dish!

    ReplyDelete