This is a lovely bread full of oats, both in the bread and on the crust. Even healthier with the addition of flax seeds and sesame seeds.
I like the mini look of this bread, as it does not bake up that tall. I suppose a smaller loaf pan can be used for a higher loaf, with some adjustments to the baking time. It has very nice soft crumbs. We enjoyed slices of this bread with some butter and jam, and hot mugs of coffee for breakfast.
(The Art Of Making Bread, by Alex Goh)
50gm instant oat
15gm flax seeds
100gm boiling water
200gm high protein flour
25gm plain flour
25gm atta flour
3gm instant yeast
120gm cold water
oat flakes, flax seeds and sesame seeds, extra for coating
- Mix instant oat, flax seeds and boiling water in a bowl and set aside to cool. Cover with cling wrap, keep in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Remove oat mixture from refrigerator and scrape into mixing bowl, with the dough hook attachment. Add the rest of the ingredients, except butter, and knead to form a rough dough.
- Add butter and continue to knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl, cover loosely with oiled cling wrap, and leave to proof for about 60 minutes until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough to deflate and place on lightly floured work surface. Divide dough into two equal pieces and mould them into a ball. Let rest, covered for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the extra oat flakes, flax seed and sesame seed together and place on a baking tray.
- Working with one dough half at a time, flatten the dough and roll it up, pressing the seams to seal. Spray the dough with some water and roll dough on the oats, flax seeds and sesame seeds mixture to coat the top and sides, leaving the seam side uncoated. Place dough, seam side down on a greased loaf pan, 9"x 4-1/2" pan. Repeat with the other half of the dough. Cover loosely with greased cling wrap and leave in a warm spot for 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Remove cling wrap and bake dough in a preheated oven at 220C for 20-25 minutes.
I'm linking this post with Cookbook Countdown #19 hosted by