Monday, April 23, 2018

White Bread

Sometimes all I crave for breakfast is just a simple white bread, spread with salty butter, a favourite jam and a mug of hot coffee. So that's what I made, from The Australian Women's Weekly gorgeous book, Simply Bread.



This is a very straight forward loaf to make. I have used the stand mixer to knead the dough, and reduced the yeast to only 2 teaspoons instead of 3, and also reduce on the salt slightly. The dough is a little sticky, so I've added about 1/4 cup more flour. I did not dust the final dough with flour before rising, preferring my white bread to be "clean" ! 



Bread is nice and soft. 


Good with a spread of salty butter. 


Basic White Bread
(Simply Bread, The Australian Women's Weekly)
3 teaspoons (10gm) dried yeast (2 teaspoons)
2/3 cup (160ml) warm water
2 teaspoons caster (superfine) sugar
2-1/2 cups (375gm) plain (all-purpose) flour
1 teaspoon table salt (3/4 teaspoon)
30gm (1 oz) butter, melted
1/2 cup (125ml) warm milk

  1. Combine yeast, the water and sugar in a small bowl until yeast dissolves. Cover; stand in a warm place for 10 minutes or until mixture is frothing.
  2. Sift flour and salt into a large bowl; stir in butter, milk and yeast mixture. Knead dough on a floured surface for 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in an oiled large bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Stand in a warm place for 40 minutes or until dough has doubled in size,
  3. Preheat oven to 200C/400F. Oil a 10cm(4in) deep, 9cmx22cm (3-3/4in x 9in) bread tin.
  4. Knead dough on a floured surface for 1 minute or until smooth. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a ball; place side-by-side in bread tin. Dust with a little extra flour, cover with plastic wrap. Stand in a warm place for 20 minutes or until risen.
  5. Bake bread for 30 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped. Turn bread onto a wire rack to cool.

I'm linking this post with Cookbook Countdown #28 hosted by 


6 comments:

  1. Even smooth tender crumb..that's a perfect loaf of bread, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the smell of bread baking. Is there a different in crust texture when you dust with flour?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping by to see an old friend and see that your recipes are still delicious and that you are still blogging. Thanks for sharing your talent with us!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whar wonderful bread Joyce, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The truth is that I love white bread. I mean I love all bread but there is nothing like good white bread with butter. THis sounds like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce, I was reading an old blog post from 2011 and saw a comment you left there. I can't believe it has been so long since we were in touch so decided to reach out to you tonight. You were so inspirational in my journey as a food blogger, thanks you. I so pleased to see you've still been busy blogging and making beautiful food. I hope you are well and loving life. Stop by my new WP blog if you get the chance. I've been very busy the past few years! Much Love, Rebecka Evans http://athomewithrebecka.com

    ReplyDelete