Saturday, May 1, 2010

Double Chocolate Cranberry Chunkies

I'm not particularly crazy over cookies. Usually when I make them, I would eat a small piece, for "testing". I have a few packets of cookie flour in my baking pantry and got to do something with all those flour before they expire. (given some away and still left with a few packets!) So the hunt for new cookie recipes begins. I bought this cookie book sometime back and have not tried any of the recipes. Now is a good time to try one. I chose 'Double Chocolate Cranberry Chunkies' as I love cranberries. This cookie turns out to be really good. It is light, crispy and delightful. I made them big (about 3" or so). When I take a small piece "just to try", I end up eating the whole piece, I even surprise myself! I made some changes to the recipe, firstly, the original amount of sugar is way too much! I reduce the sugar to half. Instead of using chocolate chunks, I use chocolate chips (that's what I have). But if you are a chocolate lover, I suggest you use chocolate chunks to enjoy the full flavour of "double chocolate" as the name of this cookie! Next, I add some chopped walnuts (guess what, I have that in my baking pantry too!). This recipe turns out to be very good, I have chosen the next cookie that I'm going to bake very soon. If you are a cookie junkie, then this recipe won't let you down. I suggest that you give it a try. I have listed my own measurements next to the original. Happy Baking.





Double Chocolate Cranberry Chunkies
(adapted from "Simple 1-2-3, Cookies & Treats" Favorite Brand Name)
Ingredients
1-3/4cups all-purpose flour (I use 225gm cookie flour)
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (25gm)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (1/4 tsp salt as the I use salted butter)
1 cup butter, softened (250gm)
1 cup granulated sugar (I use 120gm instead of original 200gm)
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar (I use 50gm instead of original 110gm)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks or
large chocolate chips (1 use 100gm choc chips)
3/4 cup dried cranberries or dried tart cherries (I use 100gm)

I add 80gm walnuts to the dough and extra to decorate on cookie


Method :
  1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C)
  2. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a small bowl, set aside. Beat butter, sugar and brown sugar in large bowl in electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beat until well blended. Gradually beat in flour mixture at low speed until blended. Stir in chocolate chunks and cranberries. (Add walnuts if using).
  3. Drop dough by level 1/4 cupfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets, spacing 3 inches apart. Flatten dough until 2 inches in diameter with bottom of glass that has been dipped in additional granulated sugar. Bake 11 to 12 minutes or until cookies are set. Cool cookies 2 minutes on cookie sheets, transfer to wire racks. Cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment