Mangoes are in season now. Bought 3kg of mangoes for RM10.00 from the market. Wanted to make mango pudding but ended up making mango ice-cream instead. We finished the rest of the mangoes. Really juicy and sweet. Everyone's favourite. My children have been 'complaining' that I have not made any ice-cream for quite some time. It's true. It's been awhile since I last made any ice-cream. If you have an ice-cream maker, try out this recipe of mine. The ice-cream turned out really creamy and delicious, with a slight taste of the lemons which really complement the sweetness from the mangoes. A wonderful combination. It is really easy. There's no cooking, cos there's no custard, cos there's no eggs! Simple and yummy! Here's the recipe. (I'm still thinking about the mango pudding, will have to buy some more mangoes and make some soon!).
2 cups diced mango flesh (about 440gm)
1 lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup icing sugar
130ml mango flavoured yoghurt (or plain)
300ml whipping cream
- Put mango cubes, lemon zest, lemon juice, yoghurt and icing sugar in blender and puree until smooth. (Adjust amount of icing sugar to taste, depending on sweetness of mangoes).
- Put mango puree in chilled bowl of ice-cream maker and churn for about 10 minutes until mango is mushy.
- Add whipping cream and continue churning for about 30 - 40 minutes or until thickened.
- Scoop into a container and freeze preferably overnight.
- To serve, take container from freezer and leave in chiller compartment of fridge for about 20 minutes to soften ice-cream before serving.
- Serve with thin slices of fresh mangoes or simply enjoy it as it is !