Thursday, April 19, 2012

RB's Hot Sauce

Hello senoritas!!  Time for another date with Rick Bayless!  A really hot date!  LOL!!  This week's theme at I Heart Cooking Club is "Sauces and Salsas". And I made some hot chili sauce, Rick Bayless uses habanero chillies which I read are really hot stuff,  and  of course I could not find any habanero over here, so I substitute with some fresh red chilli and really hot bird's eye chillies instead. It would be really Mexican if I can find some habanero chilli peppers!


Sour and very spicy! Really hot stuff!


Fresh chillies, not hot enough? I added in bird's eye chilli, these are hot!!


The unpeeled garlic are roasted over medium heat till soft. The rest of the ingredients are mixed in a saucepan, simmer over medium-heat, partially covered until carrots are tender, the recipe says about 10 minutes, but mine took about 20-25 minutes, and I even chopped the carrots to small pieces!



I let the boiled mixture cool to lukewarm before blending, do not want to crack my blender! The peeled garlic, salt and sugar are added in and blend everything together until smooth. The sugar used is very little as this is a sourish and spicy hot sauce. At first I thought that this is a chilli sauce, you know, the kind of chilli sauce that uses tomato as the base but this uses carrots instead, but then once I tried it, I realize that this tastes similar to Tobasco hot sauce, but a thicker version! 



Pour into a jar and store in refrigerator.



Serve with some fried chicken wings and some cucumbers.



The sauce is slightly sour and really spicy, just as a hot sauce should be. The jar will last me quite awhile, as this is too hot for my kids. My hubby do not take overly spicy stuff, so I will slowly enjoy it myself, with some packed in small jars for my sisters, we love spicy stuff!


Yum! I love crispy chicken wings and together with this hot sauce, so good!


To see what the others have made, please drop by I Heart Cooking Club.


Rick Bayless @IHCC button rounded


Habanero Hot Sauce
(source from : Frontera, Rick Bayless, Season 5 of Mexico-One Plate At A Time)
Makes about 2 cups
5 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1/2 cup peeled, roughly chopped carrots (you'll need 1 medium carrot)
1/2 cup roughly chopped white onion (you'll need about half of a small onion)
12 medium (about 5 ounces) orange habanero chiles, stemmed
1 cup apple cider vinegar
about 2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar

Roast the garlic in a skillet over medium heat, turning regularly until soft and blackened in spots, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool and peel.
In a small saucepan, combine the carrot, onion and habanero chiles with the vinegar and 1 cup water. Partially cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the carrots are thoroughly tender, about 10 minutes. Pour into a blender jar, add the roasted garlic, salt and sugar. Blend until smooth. Thin with a little additional water if you think your hot sauce is too thick. Taste and season with additional salt if you think necessary.
Pour into jars or bottles and store in the refrigerator until you're ready to add some dazzle to a dish.

38 comments:

  1. Looks great! Sure nice to go with anything. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOh thats really really HOT! what a treat with chicken wings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I have made the habañero version before, but I actually think your version using the birds eyes looks stellar! I want to shake it on my eggs this morning! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice spicy one, love that hot red color..

    ReplyDelete
  5. irresistible hot and spicy chicken wings...My spice levels are very high ;-) so aiming for this
    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing better than homemade hot sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  7. joyce, not only i want to taste the hot sauce, i want your chicken wings too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wah. should have given me some so that I could eat with my buffalo wings! heeeehee. shall be impatiently waiting for that jar to arrive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joyce, I can only appreciate your chilli sauce from here as I can't really take chilli that well. I will either end up of having sore throat & upset stomach if I have this sauce! My friends always tease me by saying what kind of Malaysian I am? 1/2 qualified Malaysian kuah, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! I have made this sauce before too and it is only me eating it as the rest of my family are a little wimpy with seriously hot stuff. But it's a good thing it lasts so long in the fridge!
    Yours looks wonderful. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  11. eileen@hundred eighty degreesThursday, April 19, 2012

    Hi Joyce, not only your hot sauce looks spicy, your chicken wings look juicy too! Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your hot sauce looks good and not forgetting the chicken wings too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, looks like hot stuff indeed! I love tabasco sauce so this should go down well with me and my sons, they love it too! Your fried chicken looks real tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow the chilli sauce looks... really spicy! I can't take chilli very well... I think I will have to down a bottle of water if I ate the chicken wings dipped in the sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like spicy, so I would help you with this :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea, Joyce, I am definitely going to make this one, I use A LOT of Sriracha sauce, and I love that yours doesn't have much sugar, a huge downfall for store bought sauces. Very nice indeed. Thanks
    Eva http://kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com
    PS. For a couple of weeks now, I’ve noticed that wordpress forces you to use your account when commenting on another WP user blog; by doing this it no longer links to my blog, which is annoying. So until I decide to spend the $24 to make my domain name my own, I shall have to sign like I did above. Grrrrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is awesome, I have never even thought to make my own hotsauce!

    Mal @ The Chic Geek

    ReplyDelete
  18. awesum luking spicy sauce..loved the pics...nice one n easy to make..
    Maha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rick Bayless is great so I know this recipe is too! I want to try this for sure. Rick's restaurants here in Chicago are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now that is a hot date! :)

    I'd probably have to tame it down just a little bit but we love spicy sauces.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How fun to make your own hot sauce and good job adapting it to the chilies you can readily find. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Habanero chili really hot peppers. Better wear glove when you use them. Pedas dari cili api burung tu. Trying to grow them at the moment. Syoklah makan dengan ayam goreng. Nyum.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What color so beautiful, your sauce is very attractive, it should be well on the grill.
    Kisses and good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hola guapa tu

    moltes gràcies per la teva visita, m´encanta la salsa "calenta" que ens presentes avui, anoto la formula

    mil petonets Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  25. I never thought to make my own hot sauce. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The hotter the better I always say! I see you're really enjoying cooking with Rick Bayless, Joyce! That's fabulous! Now of course, I'm going to have to give your version a try. Bookmarked!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic color! I'm sure I'm in the majority...yay for the roasted garlic in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This hot sauce would be good for fritters. We have to spice things up in our life. Thank you !!....

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fantastic! I need to make this too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. fantastic...definitely a must try !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. like a tabasco, but thicker. Oh I know I would love this... the color is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh Man!! That looks HOT. But good.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Red, hot and spicy...now that's my kind of salsa! :)

    ReplyDelete