Friday, April 25, 2014

Best Breakfast Potatoes Ever (Pioneer Woman)

It was one of those afternoons that I really have no idea on what to prepare for lunch, and remembered that I have bookmarked a potato recipe  from The Pioneer Woman's website, which she called "Best Breakfast Potatoes Ever", recipe with such a name, makes me curious about the "best...ever"! Besides it looks really good on her website, but then her food always looks good!

So a short trip to the nearby supermarket to get some bell peppers and potatoes. The good thing about this dish is once everything is cut and sliced, it all went into the oven, easy peasy!


The recipe makes a huge amount, so I have made about half a recipe. I have used russet potatoes instead of red potatoes, and russet is a good choice, as they are perfect for roasting. For the bell peppers, I have used only two, one each of yellow and red. I have used 2 whole yellow onions, as we love onions and their sweet flavours really shines thru when roasted. And I have added in some garlic powder as well. Mix all ingredients together, seasoned with some salt and pepper. Place them on a baking sheet which I have lined with foil, for easier clean-up. Advisable to grease the foil with some olive oil, as the potatoes would stick.


Bake for 25 minutes at 425F, turning once, increase heat to 500F, and bake until brown and crisp, about 15 to 20 minutes more. I moved the tray up to a higher level, to brown them more.


Serve the potatoes while they are still hot. I served these potatoes with some sausages and Eggs Over Easy. Delicious lunch indeed, and these breakfast potatoes would make a great side dish. I would not call it the "best...ever", but it certainly is really delicious!


Best Breakfast Potatoes Ever 
(adapted from "thepioneerwoman.com")
1 bag (5 pounds) red potatoes, cut into chunks
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 whole onion, peeled and roughly chopped
2 whole green bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
2 whole red bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 stick butter, melted
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
some garlic powder (my addition)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
In a large bowl, toss together the potatoes, garlic, onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, olive oil, butter, seasoned salt, cayenne pepper and some kosher salt and pepper.
Pour potatoes onto two rimmed baking sheets. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, shaking the pan twice.
Raise the heat to 500 degrees and bake until crisp and brown, 15 to 20 minutes, shaking the pan twice.
Sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper before serving.



***************************

I'm linking this post to Cook Like A Star, All-Stars Anniversary Party, hosted by Zoe of Bake For Happy KidsMich of Piece of Cake and Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.
(click on any of the hostess blog for further info and to link your posts)

All-Stars Anniversary Party featured chefs :  Ina Garten, Jamie Oliver, Nigella Lawson, Curtis Stone, Ree Drummond, Bill Granger, Masterchefs, Martha Stewart, Delia Smith, Donna Hay






12 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce!
    Before I forget, I wanted to tell you how wonderful it would be if you could join Pam's Garden Tuesday! You should read the info about it, it's very easy and doesn't even have to be on Tuesdays!

    Now, for those potatoes:) As you might know, I use to have what we call here in the states a luncheonette. The businest time of the day for meals was breakfast. I use to make potatoes just like these and cook them partially the night before in the oven and in the mornings before the breakfast crowd came in I would put them on the grill and finish them off! They are indeed some delicious potatoes and you have presented them with just the right accessories, lol...Thank you so much for sharing, Joyce. These potatoes work really well in an omelette. I may just take your idea and scramble them up with sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yumm sausages and potatoes for breakfast. I could have this any time of the day

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know, usually when i travel and swear in the morning "ok, this is no-carbs day" but when i see these available at breakfast, i will like...ok lah... 3 pieces won't hurt.. so er.. joyce, can you spare me 3 portions because yours are just perfect seasoning :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. A filling and delicious breakfast, Joyce. I like the addition of garlic powder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy the Pioneer Woman too. She cooks real and with ingredients that are in the kitchen.
    I love home fried potatoes and these look great. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyve this look reallu delicuous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When my hubby and I go out for breakfast, he always orders grits and I order potatoes. I love love love potatoes for breakfast, and these do look perfect. Even better, they look easy too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i rarely have potatoes for breakfast..but this certainly can make it for my brunch, lunch or even dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a special breakfast these would make. They do sound very good, Joyce! Maybe not 'best ever' but certainly delicious. There is nothing better that crispy roasted potatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buenísimo ....me gustan las papas lo tomaría en la cena se ve muy sabrosos,abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joyce, I'm also attracted by the title of this baked potatoes~ This can be the "all-day breakfast" menu to me, hehe~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joyce!

    I'm back!!! I do realised that PW likes to use bombastic words like best-ever to catch readers attention. Yup, she got you! Good that the potatoes are truly delicious :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete