Monday, April 21, 2014

THB : Chocolate-Almond Souffle Cake

The Home Bakers (THB), bake no. 34 is Chocolate-Almond Souffle Cake, selected by Grace of Life Can Be Simple

The original recipe recommended to use premium bittersweet chocolate such as Guittard or Sharffen Berger, and I do not have either one. What I do have, is a pack of semi-sweet chocolate which I wanted to use initially, but changed my mind when I found a container of chocolate sprinkles in my pantry. I know, it is not the same as chopped chocolate, but I do not like the idea of processing the chocolate in the food processor in our hot weather, I just knew that they would melt in no time! So by using chocolate sprinkles, I need not use and wash my food processor. Lazy me! I think the author would disapprove in my using chocolate sprinkles!  Haha!

I've made half a recipe and made some changes. Firstly, as usual, I've reduced the brown sugar slightly, by using only scant loosely packed half cup. And instead of processing the almond until finely ground, I have used ground almond instead.

There are no oil or butter used in this cake, and I was keeping my fingers crossed that it would not turn out dry, as I hate dry cakes, nobody does! The eggs are separated and the whites are beaten until stiff and glossy.  I have forgotten to add in the sugar when beating the egg whites! Oops...! 

The yolks are beaten until pale and creamy. Sugar, vanilla and almond extract are added in and beaten until pale and thick. Stir in half of the flour-grated chocolate mixture, then a third of the egg whites, the rest of the flour mixture and the rest of the egg whites. Spread in a greased springform pan, for half a recipe, I've used a 7" pan. I sprinkled some chocolate sprinkles over the batter, and bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 35 minutes.


Allow the cake to cool completely in the pan.


Cut into slices to serve.


My notes : Cake is light with tender crumbs. Surprisingly it is not dry at all. It do not have a very moist texture like some cakes do, but it is not dry either. Really nice, seeing that this is a souffle cake and does not contain any butter or oil, so you don't have to feel guilty for the second slice. The chocolate sprinkles adds a nice chocolaty taste, though it would most certainly be better if grated good-quality chocolate is used. And the flavours of the cake actually improves overnight. This is just the kind of cake that is perfect with a cup of tea.

For the full recipe and instructions, please visit the host of this bake, Grace of Life Can Be Simple To view other members' bake, please visit The Home Bakers (THB).

Welcome to The Home Bakers


We are a group of home bakers who are currently baking from "Coffee Cakes" by Lou Seibert Pappas, until each recipe from this book has been baked. This is our bake no. 34 and we have 26 recipes more to go. If you are interested to be a member and join in our bakes, you may drop me an email at kitchenflavours@yahoo.com.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce , what a delicious and yummy looking cake , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay to healthy, delicious cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks too tempting and i have to admit i am always tempted by all these THB cakes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have some chocolate rice I bought last X'mas. This is a perfect recipe to use it up. The cake looks very tasty, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce! This is interesting, can't believe that a cake can turn out so well without butter or oil. I guess this cake is something I should look into. I quite like the chocolate sprinkles in there, it makes a nice pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chocolate sprinkles even made the cake looked better and nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds delicious and I don't have to be afraid of using chopped chocolate - yet :) Great substitute with the chocolate sprinkles, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice cake Joyce, looks so pretty with the chocolate sprinkles...and yes, lovely texture.
    Have a great week :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love how the chocolate was done. the shreds of it instead of chip form. it looks divine

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks delicious and it's great that the flavors intensify the next day. You always bake the best goodies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joyce, I always want to try a souffle cake recipe because of the egg separation method! So looks like forgetting adding the sugar in the egg whites hadn't affected the outcome of the cake. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I Love your idea of using chocolate sprinkles . Looks great & quite amazing how this cake with no oil or butter turned out . With soft & fluffy texture . I will try this out ASAP as I've totally missed out the last bake . I don't want to miss this bake too, P/S Never baked a souffle cake before , eager to try this recipe ASAP ! LOL

    ReplyDelete