Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Roast Chicken Wings with Lemon and Cracked Peppers

"What's In Your Picnic Basket?", is our theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), where we are currently cooking from Nigel Slater's recipes. 

I love picnics, do you? When I was looking thru his cookbooks, there are so many recipes that are great for picnics, after changing my mind a couple of times, I finally settled for Roast Chicken Wings with Lemon and Cracked Pepper. I have a dozen chicken wings in my freezer and always have a lemon or two around. Peppers and lemon are two of my favourite ingredients, and these chicken wings sounds perfect for a picnic.

These chicken wings are so easy to make. Firstly some black peppercorns are bashed in a mortar until cracked to small pieces, not ground. Then the cracked peppercorns are mixed with some olive oil, and toss with the chicken wings, with lemon juice and salt. Recipe actually calls for some salt flakes scattered over the chicken, but I have used fine sea salt, mixing it into the other ingredients. The lemon shell is then cut up and tuck them in between the chicken wings with some bay leaves.

The chicken wings are then roasted for 40-45 minutes, turning a couple of times in between until they are golden brown and cooked, though they are not as sticky as the recipe states.


Simple, and delicious! Love the cracked black peppers and lemon, yummy! My picnic basket is ready, with lots of wet napkins to wipe your hands after! And I'm looking forward to see what everyone else is bringing in their picnic basket.
Now, who wants to sit next to me, or rather, next to my basket, at the picnic table?  :o)



Roast Chicken Wings with Lemon and Cracked Pepper
(adapted from "The Kitchen Diaries", Nigel Slater)
12 large chicken wings
1 large, juicy lemon
5 bay leaves
1 heaped tablespoon black peppercorns
2 tbsps olive oil
2 teaspoons sea salt flakes

Set the oven at 200C/Gas 6. Check the chicken wings for stray feathers - they seem to be more prevalent on the wings than on any other part of the bird. Put the wings into a roasting dish, halve the lemon and squeeze it over them, then cut up the lemon shells and tuck them, together with the bay leaves, between the chicken pieces.
Put the peppercorns in a mortar and bash them so they crack into small pieces. They should still be knubbly, like small pieces of grit rather than finely ground.
Mix the peppercorns with the olive oil, then toss with the chicken and lemon. Scatter the salt flakes,without crushing them, over the chicken. Roast for 40-45 minutes, turning once. The chicken should be golden and sticky, the edges blackened here and there. Enough for 2.



To see what everyone is bringing in their Picnic Basket, please visit IHCC.

Grab button for IHCC


and I'm sharing this post with :



30 comments:

  1. Lovely and delicious looking roasted wings. Wish I too was there to get a taste of them :)
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm.. sounds delicious, thank you Joy for sharing this wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, Joyce!! Your chicken wings are calling out to me, "Eat me!! Eat me!!" Yummy!! Save some for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a droolicious recipe......

    ReplyDelete
  5. not a big fan of chicken wings, give me a thigh or a drumstick but not wings. But I love the lemon and black pepper combo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like my kind of picnic. They look absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. simple y deliciosas asadas son muy exquisitas,abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids would love these wings. They really do look finger licking good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would like to taste it!!! Slurp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to go with you on your picnic! Those wings look really tasty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. CHICKEN!!!!!! me me!!! i want to sit next to you.. actually, maybe on your lap so i can eat everything before you :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love eating chicken wings.... great for picnics, as they taste good even when cold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joyce, what I like about this recipe is that nearly most of the ingredients can be found in our pantry! I can never resist to roast chicken~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joyce , these wings should be in my mouth right now lol Simply delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Weather is too chilled, a prefect treat to enjoy without any guilt..

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is nothing like roasted chicken in a picnic basket and wings are always fun to eat. I love the idea of the cracker pepper and lemon on these too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joyce, your chicken looks very tasty! Too cold for picnics here now, but this will be great when it warms up. I love the crunch and bits of cracked pepper and use it most days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice looking chicken wings...like the citrus with the black pepper...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Joyce I love chicken wings, looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A picnic without me, oh my Joyce:) I hope you'll keep that book handy for the Picnic Game. You know it's just around the corner, lol...

    I love the combination of pepper and lemon especially on chicken and even more so on wings! I use to buy Lemon Pepper but now I make my own. However, I think the key to this dish is those bay leaves. What a fantastic idea! Thank you so much for sharing, Joyce. I bet they are soooooo tasty:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You can't go wrong with wings. Love the added lemon, never thought of that before. We usually grill wings but I am making this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh pick me, Joyce - I would love to sit next to you. These chicken wings look utterly delicious, and they would go perfectly with my mushroom salad - want to share?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Roasted wings - delicious! They'll definitely go well with my black rice and mango salad!

    ReplyDelete
  24. hello joyce! i have to say your chicken wings sound absolutely delicious! picnic? nvr been to one since secondary..except for louise's picnic game. Yes, i want to sit next to you..i'll make drinks for you ok?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, Joyce. Lemon is one of my favorite ingredients too. The mix of lemon and black pepper on chicken is tasty! Thank you for linking this week.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Joyce! This is a nice and simple recipe but has power packed flavours. Can't beat lemons, salt and black pepper for a basic marinade. Would love to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lemon and black pepper is one of my very favorite combinations. These wings do look finger-looking good and perfect for the picnic basket. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for choosing this recipe and inspiring me to make these wings :) These wings were So very delicious and my entire family ate them (I doubled the batch). I will be enjoying this recipe again and again. We love it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Roasted chicken wings, it can't remember when I made some. Perfect for a picnic in or out

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yes, please. We sometimes forget how flavorful and easy chicken wings are to use.

    ReplyDelete