Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Chocolate-Zucchini Bundt Cake : Bake-Along #65

We had a fantastic "Chiffon Marathon" on our last Bake-Along! Thank you everyone, for your overwhelming response. All of you are just so creative, baking the usual chiffon cakes with unique and delicious flavours combinations, some of them are really new to me, and the chiffon cakes made into layer cakes are just so beautifully done! Clearly, you are a group of talented bakers! There are recipes that I have bookmarked to try, one of it, is the ever so popular Hokkaido Chiffon Cupcakes, and me being the slow-coach to jump into the wagon, will bake it, eventually!

Today's Bake-Along #65 was selected by Lena to bake together with Zoe and everyone is welcome to join us. If you are hesitating whether to bake this cake, hesitate no more, bake it! This cake is really moist, chocolaty and so good.


No one would not know that there are zucchini in the cake, except the baker, of course! And your kids would be happily gobbling down this chocolate cake, without their knowing that there is some veggie in it. This cake is baked in a bundt pan, and my photos taken on day 1, before the cake was sliced, are missing from my camera, oops!! So, these photos were taken on the next day when there are some slices left. 


As usual, I have reduced the granulated sugar to only half for full recipe, and brown sugar to 3/4 cup, loosely packed. I have omitted the sliced almonds as my family are not in favour of nuts in cakes. I have replaced the sour cream with homemade yoghurt. You would need about 1 medium zucchini to get 2 cups of grated zucchini. And one of the ingredients is espresso powder, which adds a lovely fragrant and delicious flavour with the cocoa powder.


A really chocolaty, moist and delicious cake. I'm glad I've reduced the sugar amount, as the sweetness turns out just right. My son brought 5 slices to school to share with his best buddies, and they loved it, came back with an empty container and a request to make this cake again. This is a keeper recipe. Thanks Lena, for a delicious selection!

** note : my changes listed in blue
Chocolate-Zucchini Bundt Cake
(adapted from "Cake Keeper Cakes", Lauren Chattman)
Serves 10 to 12
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder plus more for dusting the pan
1/2 cup sour cream (homemade yoghurt)
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
1 cup packed light brown sugar (3/4 cup, loosely packed)
2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup sliced almonds (omitted)

  1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 12-cup Bundt pan and dust with unsweetened cocoa powder.
  2. Whisk together the sour cream, eggs, and vanilla in a large glass measuring cup. Whisk together the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder in a medium bowl.
  3. Combine the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice as necessary.
  4. With the mixer on low speed, add 1/3 of the flour mixture and beat until incorporated. Add 1/2 of the sour cream mixture. Repeat, alternating flour and sour cream mixtures and ending with the flour mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl between additions.Stir in the zucchini, chocolate chips, and nuts.
  5. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then invert it onto a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and serve.
  6. Store uneaten cake in a cake keeper or wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
**************************

To view this lovely cake that everyone has made, please visit Lena from Frozen Wings and Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids, and all our friends who has baked along with us in the linky below :

For our next Bake-Along, our bake is based on a theme which is Theme : Baked Pasta. Bake any pasta recipe and join us! The linky will start on 7th July until 16th August. Everyone is welcome! 


Photobucket

A friendly reminder when linking to our blog hop :
1. Please mention Bake-Along event in your own post linking direct to any of the hosts' post (JoyceLena or Zoe)
2. Please link only new and current post, PLEASE FOLLOW THE BAKE OR THEME provided by us. Unrelated post will be deleted.
3. Feel free to display our Bake-Along badge in your post.


and I'm sharing this post with :
Cook-Your-Books


To join our blog hop, click on the link to get the codes:
get the InLinkz code

26 comments:

  1. Delicious and lovely looking bundt cake. Excellet pics.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks moist and very delicious! Perfect for a good cup of coffee. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake looks moist and delicious! I enjoy bundt cakes, they are always compact and good keepers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to add veggies into baked goods, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a moist and yummy cake , pass me a hunk , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cake looks so moist, and I can't wait to bake this cake too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my that looks so moist!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce,

    My son can't detect the existence of zucchini in our cakes too :p We love ours very much too as every bite is extremely moist and yummy :D I have to thank Lena for this fantastic choice :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joyce, I have 2 zucchinis in my fridge. One of them earmarked for this bake! Your cake certainly look rich and moist and chocolaty. Zucchinis are going to be flying off the shelves hah..hah...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks really moist, just like Lena's..can see a few shreds of veg in there lol! Ok, got to go grab some zucchini for this bake along this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joyce, I don't have a bundt pan. Can I use a normal cake tin or bread pan instead? Or muffin tins too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joyce,
    My choice would be a bread pan instead of the normal round cake tin. And muffin tins would be OK too, you can hop over to Zoe's and see how she made hers using mini doughnut pan. This cake is really good! I do hope you give it a try. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okies, saw Zoe's! Excited! And yes, like what Phong Hong said, zucchinis are going to be flying off the shelves! LOL!

      Delete
  13. Hi Joyce, what a lovely cake!! Look at how moist it is...I'm droooooling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Zucchini and carrot cake are in my ever growing to-bake list :P I hope I can make it sometime :D Re chiffon cake , I did lurk at the collection last week time and nearly drool , who would think that there are loads of chiffon flavors out there to try ?! I really need to buy a chiffon pan *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, never even thought to made a dessert out of zucchini before,
    your recipe is must try my friend......

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joyce, I don't have a Bundt pan ... yes I saw Zoe's bake using mini doughnut pan. I don't have this either. But you said muffin tins would be OK too. BUT I don't eat zucchini .... so, I can't bake-along with you all for this round :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks really moist. I have always wanted to bake a zucchini cake/bread, I guess it's somewhat like carrot cake ya, getting the moistness from the veegtable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice. Looks wonderfully rich and moist. Well done, you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This cake looks so moist, i have never bake this zucchini cake before .
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've made a variation of this cake and loved it! I can't wait for my little zucchinis to grow bigger so I can bake this again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness Joyce that is one beauty of a cake. I can just imagine how delicious it must taste. You are going to be the famous baking Mom at school if you keep baking such goodness. (that's a good thing of course:)

    Th Chiffon Cake "marathon" was such fun and filled with oh so many surprises. I have a feeling this Bake Along is going to be just as yummy! Thank you so much for sharing, Joyce...

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi joyce, glad to hear that the three of us had enjoyed eating this cake...it is quite a big cake as i have made the full recipe and now just left with few slices...:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this chocolate zucchini bundt cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. yum yum! so good to know we can enjoy great abundance of goodness in the supposedly fattening indulgence LOL

    ReplyDelete