I made this snack for our tea-time snack on one of the weekends, and almost forgotten to post this for Little Thumbs Up : Potato event!
The filling (vegetarian) ; potatoes, cauliflower and mixed frozen vegetables, cooked with curry powder and garam masala.
Wrapping the spring rolls.
Wrapped up and ready to be deep-fried.
Drain on kitchen paper towel and cool off a little before serving.
Enjoy with a cup of warm tea.
Curry Potato Springroll
2 large potatoes
1 very small head of cauliflower
1/2 cup of mixed frozen peas, carrots and corn, thawed
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 small piece ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp chicken stock powder
2 heaped tablespoon curry powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala
salt to taste
1/3 cup water
about 20-25 pieces of 5" square springroll wrappers
1 tbsp corn flour mix with 2 tbsp water
- Peel potates, cut into half lenghwise, place on heatproof plate. Separate cauliflower into large florets, put in a separate bowl and place both the potatoes and cauliflower in a steamer until they are just tender. The cauliflower would take a shorter time to cook, remove the bowl of cauliflower and continue to steam the potatoes until just tender, not mushy. When both veggies are cool enough to handle, chop them up into small dices. Set aside.
- Heat about 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or saucepan, add in chopped onion, garlic and ginger, saute for a few minutes until the onions are softened. Add in the mixed peas, carrots, corn, the potatoes and cauliflower and chicken stock powder. Stir to combine.
- Add in the curry powder, chilli powder, garam masala, water and salt to taste.
- Stir for a few minutes until well combined and just moist. Dish up and let cool.
- Place a piece of springroll wrapper on a clean work surface with the corner facing you. Brush all the four borders with cornflour-water mixture. Place about 2 tbsps of filling onto the centre and fold bottom corner of wrapper over filling. Fold over the right side of wrapper over filling, repeat with the left side. Roll up tightly. Repeat with the rest of the spring roll wrappers.
- Heat some oil in a wok or saucepan. Deep-fry spring rolls on both sides until golden brown and crispy. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper towel. Serve hot, with a cup of warm tea.
** this recipe yields about 22 springrolls.
I'm linking this post to Little Thumbs Up - July 2014 Event: Potato - organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Jasline of Foodie Baker .