Monday, January 26, 2015

Stir-Fried Kailan with Ginger, Garlic and Chilli

"Veggie Variations", the theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). It's veggie week! I've harvested some homegrown Kai Lan from my potted garden and made Diana Henry's stir-fried veggie dish. She uses Kale, which I have not eaten nor seen before, so I've used my homegrown Kai Lan which is also known as Chinese Kale. I do wonder whether is the taste similar to Kale.



Kai Lan from my potted garden


A simple stir-fried dish, our version is pretty much similar to Diana Henry's  recipe ingredients. She has pre-boiled the Kale before stir-frying them, but I have omitted that step since I've used Kai Lan. A nice dish to serve for dinner along side some other dishes to eat with fluffy hot white rice.


Stir-fried Kale with Ginger, Garlic and Chilli
(adapted from "Food From Plenty", Diana Henry)
400gm (14oz) kale (I use my homegrown kai lan, cut into pieces, separating the stems and leaves)
2 tbsp oil
1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
2cm (3/4in) fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped
4 spring onions, chopped

  1. Remove the ribs from the kale and tear or shred the leaves. Put into a large saucepan, cover with boiling water. Add salt and cook for about 4 minutes, then drain. (I use kailan, and omitted this step).
  2. Heat oil in a wok and fry the chilli, garlic, ginger and spring onions for 2 minutes (don't let the garlic burn). Add the kale. Cook for 1-1/2 minutes, turning to absorb the flavours. Season, squeeze over fresh lime juice and serve. (Add the stems, cook for about 2 minutes, then add the leaves, cook for a further 3-4 minutes. I did not use lime juice).


I'm linking this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week "Veggie Variations"

grab button for I Heart Cooking Clubs


and

Cook-Your-Books



12 comments:

  1. So healthy and fresh looking stir fried dish. Wonderfully prepared.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stir fried kai lan looks so good, Joyce! I think I can sapu the whole plate at one sitting hah..hah...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss garlan! This is how my mom made stirfried veggies. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice... we love having kailan too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous plant and the dish sounds fantastic. You can't get any fresher than from your own garden. The kai lan available here seems to have more of the stalks with the broccoli-like florets along with the leaves - it's often called Chinese broccoli - and in fact does taste more like broccoli than kale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce, your kai lan is freshly picked from your garden ! I like stir-fry kai lan too !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have kai lan, but I have plenty of kale! I bet it tastes similar. This looks really good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I am going to have to look for kai lan in the Asian markets here and see how it compares in taste to kale which I eat a lot. ;-) This looks like a tasty recipe--I love the ginger and chilli with the greens. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Joyce. I have never come across kai lan here, but the colour of that once it's ben cooked is amazing. That looks utterly delicious, and I love the simplicity of the dish. Great flavourings - yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joyce, I love how beautiful your kai lan looks from your garden. I'm sure it tastes very sweet and delicious. I love a good simple veggie dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my opinion kai lan is much nicer than kale! Kale has a very minerally flavour to me which I don't like. This, on the other hand, looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete