Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Lemon Madeleines : TWD

This week, at Tuesdays With Dorie (TWD), we are baking Lemon Madeleines from Dorie's latest book, "Baking Chez Moi". 

I love eating madeleines, cute shell-shaped little cakes, so good with a cup of warm tea, or just as a snack anytime of the day. 

To make these lovely madeleines, the batter is first prepared and refrigerated for at least an hour, or can be refrigerated for up to 2 days, which was what I did. I made the batter, left it in the refrigerator overnight, and the next day, I did not have time to bake these as I was out of the house (unplanned!). So I baked these on the next day after that for tea-time, and they were yummy!



According to the recipe, an hour before baking time, the greased madeleine moulds are filled with the cold batter, refrigerate again, for one hour more, than bake by placing the moulds on a heavy baking tray that was preheated in the oven first. That way, the madeleines would have really high bumps.

What I did was to refrigerate the madeleine moulds in the fridge at the same time when the batter goes into the refrigerator, so the madeleine moulds have been sitting in the fridge for two days. Just before baking, I greased the moulds, spoon the cold batter into it, did not refrigerate the moulds, and proceed with the baking.

Note : the recipe yields exactly 20 standard-sized madeleines instead of 12 as indicated in the recipe. I wonder how many madeleines the other bakers at TWD got!


These madeleines bakes up really nice, golden and puffy with....


..... a bumpy belly! 


These madeleines are delicious! They are light, moist, soft, buttery with the fragrance from the lemon zest. A delightful tea-time treat. And yes, I would make this again.

I'm linking this post with Tuesdays With Dorie (TWD) 



and
Cook-Your-Books

23 comments:

  1. They look so fluffy and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madeleines are great and yours look delicious! This has inspired me to buy the pan and make them. Thanks, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love madeleines Joyce and yours look beautiful!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce,

    I like your madeleine with their perfect bumpy bellies. Yummy!!!

    PS. Beside a Nick Malgieri's book, I have also bought this book too :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got 12 but had to cut off some of the edges! I should have made them smaller. :) Your madeleines look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like madeleines cos they're so easy to make yet look so elegant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce,

    Madeleines are also one of my favourite cake with tea. It just gives me the comfort feel and satisfaction after eating it. I love how yours has a bumpy little belly after baking. Psst, just the sight of your madeleines, I can eat a few at a go ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joyce, I do like the idea of refrigerating the batter as I can prepare well ahead. I must try this because I have never eaten Madeleines before!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good and you had fun making these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I got close to 20 "muffeleines"....yours look perfect on your cute blue and white plate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They were so good! I had too much batter for my 12 madeleines mold, glad to know it wasn't just me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Madeleines turned out fantastic and humpy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Joyce,
    Long long time ago, I used to buy madeleines from Délifrance and my kids called those 'dinosaur eggs'
    Your golden madeleines really nice and puffy. Yea perfect tea time treat ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love madeleine...I never made it, as I do not even own a mold for it...I like the idea of lemon...they sure look light and fluffy.
    Have a great week Joyce :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can only drool over your pics.... gonna get myself a madeleine mould!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So pretty and delicious, Joyce. And yours have a very good bump!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your madeleines look lovely, Joyce! I agree with you…I would make them again, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty!
    I had exactly 12 madeleines - I wonder if there are different sized pans?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely little cakes-perfect to nibble on with tea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. good trick with the molds, and nice bumpy belly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I totally got more madeleines than 12! About 2 more. Roughly. Not counting dough eaten. :) Glad it wasn't just me! And I love the sprinkle of icing sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yep, way more than twelve! I only had one madeleine pan, so I used my mini fluted pans. I'm sure I would have gotten at least 20, if not 24 full size madeleines.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh, I may have to try chilling my pans next time. I wondered about the portioning too. I'd never made these before so I worked to fill up 12 molds on my first attempt and had some major overflow.

    ReplyDelete