Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Asian Noodle Bowl

"Oodles of Noodles", the theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). It's noodles week! I've made Ellie's simple Asian Noodle Bowl. There's lots of veggies in the noodles, and that's how I love my noodles, with lots of vegetables. According to Ellie, "You can substitute whatever vegetables you have on hand to create this fabulous chicken, veggie, and noodle dish that is heady with Asian flavour and aroma". 

Recipe calls for either soba noodles or whole-wheat spaghetti, but I have a few packets of the regular spaghetti in my pantry, so I have used that instead. Veggies that I used are broccoli, fresh baby corns, carrots, red chillies and scallions. One thing that I did a little differently are the chicken breasts pieces. I marinated the thinly sliced chicken breast with some (about 2 teaspoons) cornflour and a dash of sesame oil for about 15 minutes before I proceed with the recipe. Chicken breast would usually be a little dry and sometimes gets a little tough when not eaten immediately after cooking. By marinating it with cornflour, the chicken breast pieces would stay moist and tender. The sesame oil (or any other oil) is to prevent the pieces from sticking together when stir-frying. 



I made this for our mid-morning lunch meal, and my son had a bowl of this "oodles of noodles" before he goes off to school, with a happy tummy! Simple, quick, easy, and very tasty. 


Asian Noodle Bowl
(adapted from "So Easy", Ellie Krieger, or here)
Makes 4 servings
8 ounces soba noodles or whole-wheat spaghetti
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 bunch scallions (white and green parts), sliced (1/4 cup reserved for garnish)
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic (my addition)
1 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1 15-ounce can baby corn, drained ( I use fresh baby corn)
1/2 pound broccoli florets (about 3 cups)
1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1/3 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles or pasta and cook according to the directions on the package.
Heat the canola oil in a wok or very large skillet over medium heat. Add the scallions and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the baby corn, broccoli, mushrooms, pepper slices, broth and soy sauce and cook, stirring occasionally, until the  broccoli is bright green and crisp-tender and the peppers are crisp-tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the noodles and sesame oil and toss to combine. Divide among 4 bowls and garnish with the reserved 1/4 cup of scallions.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week
"Oodles of Noodles"


8 comments:

  1. Double thumbs up for your noodle bowl! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple and delicious...I need this for my lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love noodle bowls and all the healthy ingredients in this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce, this would make a simple delicious lunch!

    Gong Xi Fa Cai to u and your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the color and freshness you have going on in your noodle bowl. What a great and healthy lunch! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say yes to noodles for breakfast! I think it is a wonderful way to start your day:)

    I love the baby corn and all the pretty color from the veggies! This dish was so popular this week and I can certainly see why - it looks very soothing and comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ginger, garlic, scallion and soy sauce speak loudly Asian and gooood!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made this about 3 years ago and didn't care for it. I think your additions have made it much better.

    ReplyDelete