Monday, February 15, 2016

Pan-Fried Fish With Vinegar

Over at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), this week's theme is "February Featured Chef : Tessa Kiros". I've made one of Tessa's fish recipe which I have been wanting to try for ages. 



Tessa's Pan-Fried Fish With Vinegar is a delicious dish. I've used golden pomfret, one of our favourite fish, good either steamed or fried. For this dish, the fish is rubbed with some salt and a little flour on both sides, pan-fry in olive oil on both sides till golden, adding the garlic, bay leave and half the chopped rosemary about halfway through. White wine vinegar is added the pan, it will sizzle, letting it boil for a few minutes, spooning some of the sauce over the fish a few times, until the sauce has reduced a little. Add the rest of the rosemary and some black pepper. Serve immediately.



Tessa says to serve the rosemary-garlic oil with bread. But we had it with rice. It was delicious.


Pan-Fried Fish With Vinegar
(adapted from "Piri piri Starfish", Tessa Kiros)
2 baby fish (each about 300gm/10oz), cleaned, gutted and scaled
a little flour
125ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
coarse salt
2 garlic cloves, peeled and squashed a bit
2 bay leaves
2-1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
125ml (1/2 cup) white wine vinegar

Pat the fish dry, salt well, then pat in flour on both sides. Heat the oil in a frying pan large enough to hold both fish. When hot, add the fish and cook for a few minutes over high heat until golden underneath. Turn over and salt.
Add the garlic and bay and throw in almost half the rosemary. Cook again until the fish is golden underneath. Turn over carefully, taking care not to break the fish, and salt the new topside. The heat should still be high, so sit the garlic and bay on top of the fish if necessary. Add the vinegar and let it bubble for 5 minutes or so until thickened a little. Add the rest of the rosemary and some black pepper and spoon the liquid over the fish a few times. There should be lots of sauce for serving and the fish will be cooked through.
Take the whole pan to the table (with a plate for the bones). The rosemary garlic oil is delicious scraped from the bottom of the pan with chips or bread.


I'm linking this post with IHCC, theme for this week, "February Featured Chef : Tessa Kiros"


12 comments:

  1. I have always meant to make this one and never have. It looks delicious. Love that garlic and rosemary combination with the acidity of the vinegar. Yum! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like eating fish. This one stands out for its crispiness. I can almost taste the vinegar and herb sauce on the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Joyce! Glad you made it! Really succulent looking fish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, Joyce, this fish dish looks wonderful - what a show-stopper bringing that to the table. Rosemary and bay are not herbs I normally think to use with fish, but I'm loving the idea and I bet the flavour is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce! Your fish looks great! And yes, it does look very delicious indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fish whenever it is fried or boiled or whatever:) This recipe is fresh and interesting way to cook fish as for me. I will share the dish with my co-workers from one day assignment and we will provide you with the feedback. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a wonderful way to cook fish, something I want to try. I have not been as successful in cooking fish as other foods, so I was happy to see this and for me, fish needs an acid like vinegar or lemon. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't remember when I last time had a golden pomfret..this is so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That fish does look delicious. I will have to check out this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my... such a cute little fish! It looks so meaty and flaky - totally mouthwatering and delicious. All the flavors I love and bonus that it is so very healthy. Gorgeous as always!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joyce,

    Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and your family. I know why you cooked this fish... because it means 年年有余 (Nian Nian You Yu) :)

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete