Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Hot Milk Sponge Cake

Light, spongy, lovely golden cake. This is the perfect cake to have if you are looking for something light. Another keeper from Tish Boyle's "The Cake Book".






There's only 4 tablespoons of butter in this lovely cake. It is not actually fat-free, but really, at least you can have more than a slice without worrying about all that fat!



This cake is so spongy and soft. 


As what Tish Boyle describes "A gloriously moist and tender all-purpose sponge cake with a fine crumb and lovely golden colour".



I'm sharing this with :



Hot Milk Sponge Cake
(adapted from "The Cake Book" by Tish Boyle)
Makes one 9-inch cake, serving 8
1-1/3 cups (4.7oz/133gm) sifted cake flour
1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (120ml) whole milk
4 tablespoons (2oz/57gm) unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
3 large eggs, at room temperature
3/4 cup (5.3oz/150gm) granulated sugar   (I use 120gm)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  1. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350F. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9-inch cake pan. Dust the pan with flour.
  2. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt two times. Set aside.
  3. In a small saucepan, combine the milk and butter and heat over medium heat just until the butter is melted. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
  4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, using the whisk attachment, beat the eggs at high speed until blended, about 1 minute. Gradually add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat until pale and tripled in volume, about 6 minutes.
  5. Sift one-third of the flour mixture over the egg mixture and gently fold it in with a rubber spatula. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture in two more additions.
  6. Reheat the milk mixture to just under a boil. Add it all at once to the egg mixture and gently fold it in. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
  7. Bake the cake for 20 to 25 minutes, until it springs back when lightly touched and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
  8. Run a paring knife around the edge of the pan and invert the cake onto the wire rack. Re-invert the cake, so that it is right side up, and cool completely.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or refrigerate for up to a week.


34 comments:

  1. OMG, Absolutely lovely. I love golden colored cakes and bookmarking this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cake. Book-marking this....

    ReplyDelete
  3. One sees very soft, should be light and delicious!
    I really liked,
    kisses:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce, You are an inspiration. Last time I don't cook. Now I cook twice a day. I don't know how you have time to get around to cakes. This one looks so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops! I logged in from my other account. Better log out now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely cake; I bet it would be wonderful with some home made preserves! Or a chocolate sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how interesting and it looks so perfectly soft.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, i'm always in for light sponge cakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow,what a lovely sponge cake looks so soft and moist..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm love cake without frosting so this is a keeper recipe for my kitchen. It looks so moist! My only problem with the cake...I would eat the whole thing by myself! Wonderful recipe Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just perfect! Fluffy goodness!Bookmarked :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the look of the soft and moist sponge cake. Truly a work of art.
    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woww lovely texture, cake looks super light and fabulous..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been wanting to make a hot milk sponge cake ever since I heard about it on television years ago. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yum! this looks perfectly moist, soft, and golden!
    ♥ laura

    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  16. This really looks delicious. We can still get local blackberried here and I'm tempted to use your cake as a base for them. I think itwouldbewonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a real easy recipe. No need to wait for the butter to be soften.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The texture looks lovely. Will KIV.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I mean it literally looks like the moistest cake I have ever seen. almost falling apart moist, which is the only way to eat a cake in my opinion. This is simple amazing. Can you come make it for me? I love milk sponge cake and next time I make it I am making yours- hands down your recipe

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how fluffy this cake looks ~ moist n soft, beautifully done!
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  21. The cake looks very light and fluffy! Nice to have a simple cake to enjoy with a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that you can have 2 pieces and not feel guilty. It looks so light and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am bookmarking this for sure, I am a huge fan for spongecakes:D Thanks for sharing this:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This recipe sounds familiar to me. I might bake this before using the recipe from a publishing blog post.

    Good to know that this low-fat cake recipe is a sure keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks so delicious! I must try this! Last Ramadhan i tried few recipes from your blog and I like it so much, especially Fried Fish with Crispy Fried Ginger ...easy to make and delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe and thanks for your wish. May be I eat too much during hari raya, but now i'm more better than last week.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi friends,
    Thank you for all your comments! I really appreciate your visits! Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh tachi! looks so light & can almost taste the buttery softness! Well done again!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a perfectly beautiful sponge cake! Joy thanks for saring with Cookbook Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Tried it! Excellent!! But I blend the milk with pandan leaves, thus it became pandan cake :D

    ReplyDelete