Saturday, July 27, 2013

Onion Tart

This delicious Onion Tart recipe is from the book, "The Bread Bible" by Beth Hensperger. According to the author, this is a relative of quiche, an onion custard baked in yeasted bread dough. The topping is actually just like a quiche's with the base of a yeasted bread. I supposed it is called a tart because it is baked in a tart pan? 


Looks like a quiche, doesn't it?


How this is made :

  1. I used the bread machine to do the kneading. If you would like to knead by hand or by using the stand mixer, refer to the instructions in the recipe below. The dough was really wet, I was actually expecting that, and forgotten to reduce the amount of liquid when I mixed the dough. So I added in another 1/4 cup of bread flour during the kneading cycle, and ended up using 3/4 cup more than the recipe calls for, which total to 3-3/4 cups. It was still sticky but decided not to add anymore flour after that. I used the "Quick Dough" cycle in my bread machine, where the machine kneads the dough for 6 minutes, and I have repeated the cycle totalling 3 rounds, that comes to 18 minutes of kneading. I have reduced the salt from 1-1/2 tablespoons to 1-1/2 teaspoons and the yeast from 1 tablespoon to 3/4 tablespoon.
  2. Remove dough from bread machine pan, and flour your hands and work surface as the dough is soft and sticky. Shape into a round and place in greased large bowl, turning over once so the top of dough is oiled, cover bowl with greased cling wrap and leave to rise until tripled in size.
  3. Punch down dough gently, divide dough into two, freeze one for later use, and roll out the other half of the dough to fit a round tart pan or pizza pan. I have used a 11" pizza pan and only fill the base of the pan, not the sides. And also I have used slightly more than half of the total dough, as I wanted a thicker base.
  4. Prepare the onion filling as per instructions in the recipe below. I have added in 2 slices of bacon, chopped to pieces and fry lightly for a couple of minutes, add that to the onions with 1 teaspoon of dried oregano. Scatter the onion and bacon mixture over the rolled dough in the pan.
  5. I have made my own creme fraiche for the custard, mixed with some eggs, salt and black pepper. Pour this mixture over the onion filling.
  6. Bake in a preheated oven for 35 minutes at 375F.

The onion filling will puffed and turn golden brown when cooked. Just like a quiche.



Only difference is, the base is yeasted bread. And the bread is very soft, fluffy and so delicious with the onion filling. The onions which are fried until caramelized, brown and soft are very sweet and delicious, that is if you like onions.


These are so good eaten warm, about 10 minutes right after baking.


According to the book, this can be eaten hot, warm or at room temperature. I have no idea if these are as good at room temperature. We finished everything in less than 20 minutes, while it was still warm and delicious! This bread tart do reminds me of focaccia.


Two days later, I took the other frozen dough out from the freezer and was surprised that it was not completely frozen, maybe because I store it at the compartment of the freezer door and not cold enough? Left it on the kitchen counter for half an hour, pat it into a 8" tart pan, top with some cheese, and use some leftover spaghetti sauce as the topping, and scatter more cheese over. Bake for 35 minutes at 375F.


It was yummy! The bread is so soft! You can see how fluffy the bread is from the photo above. This is like eating pizza! Made this for the kids' after school lunch! It is definitely a winner! I'll be making the dough again to store in the freezer, simply a breeze for a quick meal. A definite keeper recipe, I can see lots of future baking from this book. 
Onion Tart
(adapted from "The Bread Bible", Beth Hensperger)
Tart Dough (enough for two 12" tarts or 1 shallow 11-by-17-inch sheet)
1 tablespoon (1 package active dry yeast) (I use 3/4 tbsp)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup warm water (105 to 115F)
2-3/4 to 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour or bread flour (I used in total 3-3/4 cups bread flour)
1-1/2 tablespoons salt (I use 1-1/2 teaspoon salt)
2 tablespoons corn oil
1 large egg, at room temperature, slightly beaten

Onion Filling
4 large onions, thinly sliced
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter (I use 2 tbsp canola oil)
1 cup sour cream or creme fraiche (I use 3/4 cup homemade creme fraiche)
3 large eggs, at room temperature
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 slices bacon (my addition)
1 tsp dried oregano (my addition)

  1. To make the tart dough : Put the yeast, a pinch of the sugar, and 1/2 cup warm water in a small bowl. Stir until dissolved and let stand at room temperature until foamy, about 10 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl using a whisk or in the work bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine 1 cup flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, and the salt. Add the remaining water, oil, egg, and yeast mixture. Beat hard until smooth, about 3 minutes. Add the flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and beat with a wooden spoon until a shaggy dough that just clears the sides of the bowl is formed.
  3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth, resilient, and no longer sticky, about 5 minutes, dusitng with flour only 1 tablespoon at a time as needed to prevent sticking. Shape into a ball. (If kneading by machine, switch from the paddle to the dough hook and knead for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and springy and springs back when pressed. If desired, transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead briefly by hand.
  4. Place the dough in a greased bowl. Turn once to grease the top and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise at room temperature until tripled in bulk, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
  5. To make the onion filling : In a skillet saute pan over low heat, cook the sliced onions in butter until golden and soft, about 20 minutes. Let cool to room temperature. Just before shaping dough, combine sour cream, eggs, salt, and pepper in a bowl ; add onions.
  6. Gently deflate the dough. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Grease a springform pan or tart tin with a removable bottom. Divide dough into 2 equal portions; freeze 1 for later use. Roll out the remaining portion to fit the pan or tart in. Pat into the bottom and up the sides. Fold any extra dough down. Pour the onion mixture over the dough.
  7. Twenty minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 375F. Place the pan or tin on a rack in the center of the oven and bake for 35 minutes, or until crispy and golden. The onion filling will be delicate brown and puffy. Let stand 10 minutes before removing the sides of the pan to cool before cutting into wedges.


kitchen flavours notes :
My changes :
  • Use the bread machine to do the kneading for 18 minutes (3 cycles of 6 minutes of kneading, using function "Quick Dough"). Place the wet ingredients at bottom of bread pan, spoon the flour over and place salt, sugar at the corners and yeast in the centre. The dough mixture was very wet, added in 1/4 cup of bread flour at a time, total amount of flour used, 3-3/4 cups. Note to self : to reduce the amount of liquid the next time.
  • Reduced salt to 1-1/2 teaspoons for the dough and the yeast to 3/4 tablespoon. For the onion filling, added in 2 slices bacon, chopped and fry for a couple of minutes. Mix the cooked onions, bacon and 1 teaspoon of dried oregano. Just before baking, scatter the filling on the rolled dough in pan, and pour over the eggs and creme fraiche mixture. 
  • I wanted a thicker dough, so I have used slightly more than half of the kneaded dough for one round pan of 11", did not pat the dough to the sides of pan, I just filled the base of pan with the dough.
#66/100

24 comments:

  1. One of my favourites! It's called Flammenkuchen over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the onion flavor and your additions ...open the door Joyce ... got my plate ... thanks for sharing . :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique recipe! It reminds me of foccacia more than a tart...but I know I'd enjoy it regardless of what it's called. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness!! This looks fabulous! I'm loving the dough layer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks absolutely delicious! This is my kind of tart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks much better than a quiche and I do like quiche. I see how that soft bread would almost blend with the onion layer. Delicious looking and sounding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce,

    You are right that this tart does look more like a quiche! I'm an onion fan and reckon that I will love this tart.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious and I like the last photo which really shows the fluffiness of the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joyce! It's nearing lunch time and I'm feeling so hungry after looking at your tarts! Interesting that it uses a bread base!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It does remind me of a foccacia as well...onion bread/tart sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the freezing part the most! The onion tart looks super yumms!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a focaccia with toppings to me ;p but I love onions, so I know it will be really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUM! that is a gorgeous tart! I love how fluffy the bread is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joyce,
    Your onion tart looks very interesting!
    I love onion Yum Yum. I will definitely try this recipe :D

    Have just link up a post to cook-your-book event.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an interesting concept, Joyce. You know how bad I am when it comes to "playing" with yeast but I sure wouldn't mind popping over to your house to have just a nibble, lol...Oh wait, yours is all gone!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing...I bet the fragrance was amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just watched Masterchef Australia and the contestants baked quiche. You are right, your tart seems something the same. The onions are a wonderful add-on and the tart is for sure fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i can just taste the caramelized onions right now with that nice crispy crust. Oh the buttery goodness! i am in love

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joyce, this onion tart looks fabulous, like the caramelized onion and yes, the cheese and spaghetti sauce looks great too.
    Have a lovely week :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. This one, FOR SURE, I'm going to bake it !! I have to buy onions and just do it ! Thank you, Joyce !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh this is amazing - I LOVE the addition of the bacon - isn't it amazing how sweet the onions become with cooking - delicious!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Joyce, is unusual for a tart base to have yeast in it ya. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Estupenda y linda receta me encanta el sabor de la cebolla y tocino,saludos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Joyce , sort of a pan pizza and it looks really delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Joyce, you are cooking up a storm and I am trying very hard to keep up hah! hah! I know I will love this onion tart! With a bread base, I can imagine how fragrant mingling of the small of fresh baked bread and the oniony topping :)

    ReplyDelete